View Full Version : Why use UTF-8?

Rocko
07-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi,

I am making a Web site requiring multi language (8 occidental, 4 oriental) and wonder if it would use UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1 as main with converters to unsupported languages.

My question is because using ISO-8859-1, must of the languages can be stored as they were captured (From the keyboard to the file) but using UTF-8 all but English will be stored as encoded chars that no human is able to read.

Kind Regards,

Roberto

oesxyl
07-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi,

I am making a Web site requiring multi language (8 occidental, 4 oriental) and wonder if it would use UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1 as main with converters to unsupported languages.

My question is because using ISO-8859-1, must of the languages can be stored as they were captured (From the keyboard to the file) but using UTF-8 all but English will be stored as encoded chars that no human is able to read.

Kind Regards,

Roberto
the problem is in user settings because browsers come with a default setting for iso-8859-1 and not utf-8 and most of the users don't change this.
in my opinion the best bet is utf-8:
- iso-8859-1 is a subset of utf-8, so even if user don't have multilingual setting in browser can be used
- despite other encoding is standard and accepted on all systems

PS: the statement, yellow one, is not correct. when you use something what is not ascii the result is same no matter the encoding. the difference is that utf-8 have already support in many application.

regards

Arbitrator
07-17-2008, 08:03 AM
My question is because using ISO-8859-1, must of the languages can be stored as they were captured (From the keyboard to the file) but using UTF-8 all but English will be stored as encoded chars that no human is able to read.You seem to have things a bit backwards there; ISO-8859-1 can represent 256 characters of Unicode literally (i.e., without the need for character escaping) whereas UTF-8 can represent all 100,713 characters literally. There’s a world of difference between the two.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum