View Full Version : Please Review my First PHP Site

okram666
06-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi there :)

www.eynsoft.com (http://www.eynsoft.com) is my first PHP site ,really refreshing after ASP :)
Anyway tell me what you think;)

Regards,

Marko Jovanovic

Vijo
06-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Design:
I love it. The effects are all nice, as well as the navigation.
The colours are pleasing to they eye, however, I would opt for a colour like #BAF100 on the top header bg. (Its a yellow green)
Also, I would make the logo come down a tad. Its at the corner of my screen.

Technical:
:O VALIDATION!!! NEARLLY 300 ERRORS! http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eynsoft.com%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

Maybe make the navigation an accordian, saving load time.

gnomeontherun
06-25-2008, 05:20 PM
The overall design is pretty nice, clean, and doesn't try to do too much at once.
The site structure is logical, makes sense and easy to navigate.

Improvements:
I can't read your logo, the contrast is really poor for the white text and lime bar.
I would keep your logo and search bar in the center as well, on my widescreen it expands so far out that it looks awkward.
The roll overs for your menu make the item harder to read when you roll over.
The forum login seems a little out of place on all of the pages.
When you are looking at a subdirectory of the site, it would be nice to have something to help visually remind you where you are, some kind of Section Title or image.

okram666
06-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Design:
I love it. The effects are all nice, as well as the navigation.
The colours are pleasing to they eye, however, I would opt for a colour like #BAF100 on the top header bg. (Its a yellow green)
Also, I would make the logo come down a tad. Its at the corner of my screen.

My favorite color is green :D
Actually i was considering to change color of the header, probably in something like #BAF100... Thaks for that "color code" :)

Technical:
:O VALIDATION!!! NEARLLY 300 ERRORS! http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eynsoft.com%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

Maybe make the navigation an accordian, saving load time.

Yea I know:o but to be honest i don't understand why is that so important? Sites like soft32 or softpedia and many others, have a lot more errors...

Thanks for review;)

The overall design is pretty nice, clean, and doesn't try to do too much at once.
The site structure is logical, makes sense and easy to navigate.

Improvements:
I can't read your logo, the contrast is really poor for the white text and lime bar.
I would keep your logo and search bar in the center as well, on my widescreen it expands so far out that it looks awkward.
The roll overs for your menu make the item harder to read when you roll over.
The forum login seems a little out of place on all of the pages.

I will fix that...

When you are looking at a subdirectory of the site, it would be nice to have something to help visually remind you where you are, some kind of Section Title or image.

Great idea :) I will add something like that, or maybe change colors...

P.S. Thanks again to both of you :)

Millenia
06-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Good:
Web design is beautiful, seriously, very nice.
(Everything on the site works fine) and the graphics look great.
Stuff stands out that you want to see, and it's all structured nicely in correct order. (Apart from the top-right navigation)

Dislike:
The menu at the top right is very small, maybe make it stand out or bigger. If people can't find the site navigation, then your site just won't work.
VALIDATE VALIDATE VALIDATE! Fix your validation errors!

Privacy Policy | Contact | Help | Terms of use | Copyright 2007 EynSoft.com. All rights reservedThey aren't hyper-linked. They don't lead anywhere!

My thoughts.

Millenia
06-25-2008, 06:48 PM
I found this error:

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/eynsof5/public_html/linuxcat.php on line 328
Here (http://www.eynsoft.com/linux/Games/28.html)

You might want to check the other links in this case.

Edit:

The design goes wrong on this page, the navigation screws up. (http://www.eynsoft.com/linux/Games/Sports/28-5-1.html)
(If it's meant to look like that, then I apologise, it looks like it has gone wrong :p)

I think your best going through every link and checking them all. I'm guessing there's much more erorrs like these.

Second Edit:

And another MySQL error here:

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/eynsof5/public_html/maccat.php on line 322Here (http://www.eynsoft.com/mac/Widgets/24.html)

I'll leave it for you to find more.

Third Edit:

Under the green at the top, and above the box of content, there is an invisible link to the Mobile section of the website. Kinda wierd

(Sorry for finding errors in your site, it's better PHP that I could have done)

binaryWeapon
06-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Design:
+ Nice soft design, coherent color scheme, graphics fit the site
+ I love the glow/reflection effect on the rollovers of Windows, Mac, and Linux
+ Great page structure
- Perhaps the text size could be a bit bigger?

Technical:
- At the bottom the Privacy Policy, Contact, etc aren't linked.
- Doesn't validate
- Tables for layout a bit (bad coding practice)
- On the contact form there is no validation; it allows you to send a blank, empty email
- I pressed the search button without putting anything in the search box and it gave me:

Showing page 1 of 0 pages It was actually not showing any pages.

Nice looking site, a great one for your first!

Yea I know but to be honest i don't understand why is that so important? Sites like soft32 or softpedia and many others, have a lot more errors...
A site can, and obviously many do, work without valid code. But having code that complies to standards helps all browsers understand it better (with the possible exception of IE :D). It could increase the loading speeds just because the browser will be able to instantly understand it, instead of having to figure out how to cope with the error.

okram666
06-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Under the green at the top, and above the box of content, there is an invisible link to the Mobile section of the website. Kinda wierd
(Sorry for finding errors in your site, it's better PHP that I could have done)
I'm aware of that MySQL errors... I it's happening when empty mysql_query record is passed to another mysql_query :D but i will fix that :)

On the pages with subcategories navigation is wierd because of height of div (when is empty) i will fix that too :D

Third Edit:

Ouh thats a problem... You probally have 1024x768 resolution.... I just found out that mobile link is move down on that res...

Thank you very much for feedback;)

Design:
+ Nice soft design, coherent color scheme, graphics fit the site
+ I love the glow/reflection effect on the rollovers of Windows, Mac, and Linux
+ Great page structure
- Perhaps the text size could be a bit bigger?

Technical:
- At the bottom the Privacy Policy, Contact, etc aren't linked.
- Doesn't validate
- Tables for layout a bit (bad coding practice)
- On the contact form there is no validation; it allows you to send a blank, empty email
- I pressed the search button without putting anything in the search box and it gave me: It was actually not showing any pages.

Nice looking site, a great one for your first!

Thanks for reply...:)

Yes i know about footer... I need to write terms of use, privacy police and other but I don't know english so well for that :D

A site can, and obviously many do, work without valid code. But having code that complies to standards helps all browsers understand it better (with the possible exception of IE :D). It could increase the loading speeds just because the browser will be able to instantly understand it, instead of having to figure out how to cope with the error.

Thank you... Finally some real answer for that question... until now everybody was saying:"Thats standard you must do like that, but why I don't have idea":D

Millenia
06-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Yes i know about footer... I need to write terms of use, privacy police and other but I don't know english so well for that :D

This sounds a bit cheating, but maybe you could go onto any website, copy their privacy policy and copyright stuff and modify it? To save you from writing your own.

okram666
06-25-2008, 07:43 PM
This sounds a bit cheating, but maybe you could go onto any website, copy their privacy policy and copyright stuff and modify it? To save you from writing your own.

I was planning to do something like that :D

oesxyl
06-25-2008, 07:52 PM

I was planning to do something like that :D
do you think that this is legal?

regards

binaryWeapon
06-25-2008, 07:54 PM
I believe there are privacy policy generators.

http://www.dmaresponsibility.org/PPG/
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=privacy+policy+generator&btnG=Google+Search

Never seen something like that for T&Cs though.

gnomeontherun
06-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Legal language doesn't change much as long as you find a site with a similar purpose. The problem is they may have paid a lawyer for that text...

Since you are providing software which is going to change a users computer, it is best to make sure to be very clear that you provide this without any warranty, no guarantees, etc. I wonder if you shouldn't even have some terms of use box that people have to check before they download software?

Apostropartheid
06-25-2008, 09:13 PM
It strikes me as very overwhelming. I can't really understand where my eyes should go first, because your heads don't stand out very well and are completely tossed out by their colored subheads. This lack of structure is...confusing.

Although I like the design, there are a few things which look a bit off. The section links on your head look like they were supposed to be centered over the middle part of the gradient and the logo is hard to read.

Also your text is unforgivably small. Try making it more readable or change it to a more legible font at small sizes (I've played about with it and Verdana at 11 pixels with a 1.5 leading looks clean and lovely.)

It's going along well though, keep it up!

Vijo
06-25-2008, 09:30 PM
I agree with CyanLight. I did have to strain my eyes to get to see it. Not very good on accessibility.

Also, why not have a header that changes colour? Like from Green, to orange, to blue etc.. =]

okram666
06-25-2008, 09:49 PM
I found the T&C generator http://www.bennadel.com/coldfusion/privacy-policy-generator.htm :)

It strikes me as very overwhelming. I can't really understand where my eyes should go first, because your heads don't stand out very well and are completely tossed out by their colored subheads. This lack of structure is...confusing.

Although I like the design, there are a few things which look a bit off. The section links on your head look like they were supposed to be centered over the middle part of the gradient and the logo is hard to read.

Also your text is unforgivably small. Try making it more readable or change it to a more legible font at small sizes (I've played about with it and Verdana at 11 pixels with a 1.5 leading looks clean and lovely.)

It's going along well though, keep it up!

Tnx for feedback...
Well font i don't want to change in any case...only one i like is arial :)

It seems to me that I need to redesign header:D

okram666
06-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Me again:)

What you think about this color combination?

http://www.eynsoft.com/Design_alt.gif

Regards:)

gnomeontherun
06-26-2008, 03:06 AM
That doesn't really change much in my opinion. You have a lot of white, and then some very bright colors. I don't mind the colors, but what I would suggest is using the colors as backgrounds for your headers instead of as the text. Maybe you can use a very faded/muted color to help separate some of the content. Right now it seems like it flows together with all of the white (except the right nav bar is somewhat defined). I'm also cautioning against doing too much, I like the simplicity but the more I look at it the more I realize that there isn't much convention to help a visitor know where to start looking.

When listing latest/most popular, it seems odd to have so many. Perhaps you should limit the display number to 5, and put it below the featured software. They look a little bit like ads, which can cause people to ignore them and have to go searching for what appears to be the real content of the page. Help those lost eyes!

Vijo
06-26-2008, 06:27 PM
I would definitely think of chaning the green header. Maybe to the colour I suggested or an Orange (#FF8800).

Millenia
06-26-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't get what's so bad about his design...
It looks amazing in my opinion.

binaryWeapon
06-26-2008, 08:25 PM
I agree. You can't please everyone 100%, and I think the design and layout as well as the structure is an excellent happy medium.

gnomeontherun
06-26-2008, 08:37 PM
I think its great, just the perception that the content seems to be flowing together too much. I agree with CyanLight about not being sure exactly where to let my eyes go, and from a usability standpoint it seems like there are some missing visual cues for visitors to digest the information as quickly as possible. I've already noted some ideas. I would not do anything too drastic to the design or layout, just some simple things to help make it as clear as possible without being redundant.

okram666
06-26-2008, 11:01 PM
@ Everybody :)

Thanks for all of your help. I will not change design right now.
I have headache from all those "divs", "spans" and everything :D
The biggest problem is, if i replace header color than i also must replace text color...

But any time soon i will redesign header, when i find time and of course will :)

I think its great, just the perception that the content seems to be flowing together too much.

The main "section" of the site is the page with description of the program and search... If thats ok, than everything is ok :D

P.S. I just added google adsense for the first time in my life :)

Vijo
06-27-2008, 05:33 PM
I also think the size of font is a bit too small. As I always say: Don't go below 12px.
Vijo

Apostropartheid
06-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Well no, it's not the fact that it's too small as that it's illegible. Helvetica doesn't have very pronounced letterforms at small sizes, and it's even worse when you have ClearType enabled. I'll do screenies in a minute ^^

Original (Helvetica/Arial, 11px with default leading) with ClearType enabled (http://cyan-light.co.uk/media/screenshots/2008-06-27-eyesoft.com-01.png).
Edited (Verdana, 11px with 16.5px leading) with ClearType enabled (http://cyan-light.co.uk/media/screenshots/2008-06-27-eyesoft.com-02.png).

The difference in readability is quite drastic. (tempting to say that with a trilled r...)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum