View Full Version : App to use for coding Java?

Jearb
06-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Hello. I am new here. I'm trying to learn Java 6, but I cannot find a single program to use to actually CODE it. (I have a Mac)

I've tried downloading the JDK from the ADC site, but I don't understand how to actually USE what is installed. Some kind of 'Java Web Start' and 'Java Preferences'. If there's something I'm doing wrong, please tell me. I'm rather confused.

Otherwise, that'd be really awesome if any of you knew of a (preferably freeware) app that I can use to code Java. I've tried using NetBeans, but I don't really like it. I'd prefer something that's not an IDE, and is just a bare-bones compiler and linker. You can email me if you like.

Thanks,
Jearb

tomws
06-13-2008, 08:31 PM
You'd be better served if you posted in the Java forum rather than Javascript. No, they're not the same.

Jearb
06-13-2008, 09:53 PM
They are? Okay. I'll try to move it, I guess.

tomws
06-13-2008, 10:00 PM
From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript):

JavaScript, despite the name, is essentially unrelated to the Java programming language, although both have the common C syntax, and JavaScript copies many Java names and naming conventions. The language was originally named "LiveScript" but was renamed in a co-marketing deal between Netscape and Sun, in exchange for Netscape bundling Sun's Java runtime with their then-dominant browser. The key design principles within JavaScript are inherited from the Self programming language.

Those common naming conventions, though, are making it a little easier on me to pick up Java since I've seen them in JavaScript. Since you seem to be hitting up Java first, it should work for you, too, when coming back around.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum