View Full Version : Why are new users allowed to have links in their signatures?

ralph l mayo
06-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Everytime I see a nub with a link in their sig, Googling a piece of the broken English in their "question" reveals they're just spamming. Worse than my few minutes of wasted attention is the fact that people actually try to help in these threads, which can only drive up the search relevance of the spam links.

This type of attack seems highly avoidable by simply prohibiting links in the signatures of users with less than 50 or 100 posts, no?

edit: speaking of nubs, I guess I could have just posted this in the active spam thread a few slots down on the list, sorry.

oesxyl
06-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Everytime I see a nub with a link in their sig, Googling a piece of the broken English in their "question" reveals they're just spamming. Worse than my few minutes of wasted attention is the fact that people actually try to help in these threads, which can only drive up the search relevance of the spam links.

This type of attack seems highly avoidable by simply prohibiting links in the signatures of users with less than 50 or 100 posts, no?
yes, unfortunately this is true. Agree with prohibiting links in signature for users with less then n posts. I don't know how much this n must be.

regards

jcdevelopment
06-11-2008, 09:32 PM
I agree too! I dont know how many times i saw a question that i looked into and then finally realized this question was first asked in Jan 5, 2004. The spammers find these old random Q and answer them with stupid remarks or legit remarks!

WA
06-12-2008, 06:44 AM
If you see a spammy post, please "report" it. Banning sigs for new users don't really do much, because the user often just manually adds a link in their post. Unless you mean ban the posting of any links altogether for new comers, which obviously also causes a lot of collateral damage to legit users.

VIPStephan
06-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Well, we don’t know how many of them got through because thier posts are kinda legit and the signatures are relatively unobtrusive as well but they are still spammers. If they have to manually put the links inside their posts they would probably be easier to identify.
But what do I know?

oesxyl
06-12-2008, 10:15 AM
If you see a spammy post, please "report" it. Banning sigs for new users don't really do much, because the user often just manually adds a link in their post.
it does because the signature remain in the member list and can be used for break attempts even the post is removed. It's easy to miss something like this when somebody report the post.

Unless you mean ban the posting of any links altogether for new comers, which obviously also causes a lot of collateral damage to legit users.
can't help, or is very dificult to help a user in the html/css forum if it can post a link.

regards

ralph l mayo
06-12-2008, 07:23 PM
If you see a spammy post, please "report" it. Banning sigs for new users don't really do much, because the user often just manually adds a link in their post. Unless you mean ban the posting of any links altogether for new comers, which obviously also causes a lot of collateral damage to legit users.

Well, we donít know how many of them got through because thier posts are kinda legit and the signatures are relatively unobtrusive as well but they are still spammers. If they have to manually put the links inside their posts they would probably be easier to identify.

This is exactly it. Everyone can see with links in the post itself that are unrelated to the content of the post that the user is a spammer, and they can report it and/or not waste their time with it.

Links in the sig are usually unrelated to the post even when they are legitimate, and it's easy to pass over some spammy keywords if you don't have an eye for it.

WA
06-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Ok you've convinced me. :) I'll get to creating a new usergroup for new comers that will restrict their ability to have a sig, probably in the next 3-4 weeks. That's when I'll be making some other changes to CF as well.

jcdevelopment
06-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Ok you've convinced me. :) I'll get to creating a new usergroup for new comers that will restrict their ability to have a sig, probably in the next 3-4 weeks. That's when I'll be making some other changes to CF as well.

:eek: I think this is how democracy is suppose to work!

liorean
06-14-2008, 12:03 PM
:eek: I think this is how democracy is suppose to work!Bah, CF is much better than a democracy, it's a benevolent dictatorship run in a technocratic (or meritocratic) way. (If you've studied sociology you'd note that the most efficient government is a benevolent monarchy/dictatorship. It's main fault is that it easily falls into a suppressive dictatorship as succession takes place.)

binaryWeapon
06-15-2008, 03:01 AM
You lost me after technocratic... but I agree. WA for pres! or benevolent dictator that is.

gnomeontherun
06-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Bah, CF is much better than a democracy, it's a benevolent dictatorship run in a technocratic (or meritocratic) way. (If you've studied sociology you'd note that the most efficient government is a benevolent monarchy/dictatorship. It's main fault is that it easily falls into a suppressive dictatorship as succession takes place.)

Plato would agree assuming the leadership was made of philosophers. Democracy is the second most wasteful form of government, just above despotism.

Ergo, WA must be the sage that controls our coding nation.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum