View Full Version : Trouble with a while loop...

kiako_09
06-07-2008, 10:19 PM
I need some help with a while loop. I'm writing a program that determines the due date of a pregnant animal based on their date of conception and gestation period (kind of strange, I know). I need to request the user to enter a letter code to into a dialog box, and then use that code to determine the type of animal. If the code doesn't match one of the animals (i.e. they enter a letter that isn't valid), the program displays a message stating it's invalid and prompts the user for a different letter code. As of now, the program prompts the user for the letter code, but even if they enter a valid one, the program determines that it's invalid and loops over and over... Can someone please point out what I've done wrong? Thanks!

All variables have been declared/initialized previously
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

boolean token = false;

while (token == false){
userCode = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Enter the code for the type of animal", "Animal type", JOptionPane.QUESTION_MESSAGE);

if ((userCode == "h")||(userCode == "H")){
animalType = "horse";
gestationPeriod = 336;
token = true;
}
else if ((userCode == "c")||(userCode == "C")){
animalType = "cow";
gestationPeriod = 280;
token = true;
}
else if ((userCode == "p")||(userCode == "P")){
animalType = "pig";
gestationPeriod = 115;
token = true;
}
else if ((userCode == "d")||(userCode == "D")){
animalType = "dog";
gestationPeriod = 63;
token = true;
}
else if ((userCode == "k")||(userCode == "K")){
animalType = "cat";
gestationPeriod = 63;
token = true;
}
else if ((userCode == "a")||(userCode == "A")){
animalType = "hamster";
gestationPeriod = 16;
token = true;
}
else if ((userCode == "r")||(userCode == "R")){
animalType = "rabbit";
gestationPeriod = 31;
token = true;
}
else if ((userCode == "g")||(userCode == "G")){
animalType = "guinea pig";
gestationPeriod = 68;
token = true;
}
else
{
System.out.println("Invalid animal type; Try again");
}

}

Aradon
06-08-2008, 03:44 PM
I need to add this to the faq I think.

Basically I assume that you're userCode is a String. As such, you can't do == comparison with Strings!

Why? Well unlike ints, doubles, floats, and booleans Strings aren't primitive types. Instead they are what we call Class types. And because every Class type is really a pointer, all you are doing with == is checking if the address of the two things are equal.

(userCode == "h")

The address of userCode == the address of our temporary placevalue "h".

Instead String has something called equals (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#equals(java.lang.Object)) and equalsIgnoreCase (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#equalsIgnoreCase(java.lang.String)).

Using these two methods you can see if a string is exactly equals to another string even in case, or ignoring case value.

So instead of userCode == "h" you would have.

if ((userCode.equals("h"))||(userCode.equals("H"))){
// Or --------------------
if ((userCode.equalsIgnoreCase("h")){

kiako_09
06-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks! This is my first time with Java, and it's been a while for any other languages, so I'm kind out of my element at the moment. The program works perfectly now, so thanks again.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum