View Full Version : Please review my company site

BoldUlysses
05-29-2008, 10:02 PM
*deep breath* Here we go:

http://www.imageworksdisplay.com/tobacco/

Any feedback appreciated. Just waiting for a little bit more content before it "launches" or "goes live," whatever the term du jour is. :)

Thanks!

Oh, and apologies for the scrolling text and flashing gif on the index page. Those were added at the behest of management.

jcdevelopment
05-29-2008, 10:08 PM
very nice, easy to manage all throught the whole site. You might want to get rid of the marquee though. They are obtrusive and sometimes annoying.

Also keep in mind that you have 6 CSS errors on validation.

Looks good, keep up the good work!

BoldUlysses
05-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Marquee was added per a management request. If I had my druthers I'd leave it off.

I hadn't checked the CSS for validation, only the markup.

Hmm. The old transparency error (I've had this before). Without getting too off-topic, I don't suppose there's any standards-compliant way of achieving the same effect beyond creating a image rollover (with js or CSS)?

Thanks for the compliments!

tomws
05-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Clean and crisp. I've never really been a fan of designs that change sub-page layouts, though. I'd rather see your huge banner everywhere else.

Agree with jc on that scroller. Maybe try to convince them scale back to at least a vertical scroller. Would appear a bit less like a pawn shop advertisement.

Resizing the window down to somewhere around 800px causes the page to hide itself on the left side. Possibly related, IE6 and 7 cough out a javascript error.

Apostropartheid
05-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Marquees and blinks made me shut the thing down fair rapidly. Yes, it's that bad.

On my second attempt, I liked the logo image (although I don't *really* like the bold Arial that much, but that's mainly because I find Arial a betraying typeface and select Helvetica at all times--meh).

You've got a clearly defined, strong, implied grid which I like, but you really need a footer. Speaking of footers, I noticed a footnote who seems to not be referenced...at all?

BoldUlysses
05-30-2008, 03:08 AM
Well...the marquee is really going to be around for the next couple of months at the most, as will the blinky. I will look into a vertical marquee, though. That's a good idea.

The same management folks who requested it are absolutely enamored of anything with a whiff of Flash. Sigh.

The footnote I think you're referring to which "isn't referenced" is a legal disclaimer. Those are generally pretty small anyways.

I was torn between Helvetica and Arial, especially after watching the movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvetica_%28film%29). In the end Arial was selected for its slightly "softer" look, not to mention it's the company typeface.

Appreciate the feedback! :thumbsup:

fside
05-30-2008, 10:41 AM
I suppose it's a matter of whether one prefers old-style fixed layouts, or newer 'floating' layouts. I prefer the latter. Other than that, it seems a solid web design, for what little info is being presented about the cigarette store fixtures. By the way, FF can handle 'opacity'. No need for the extra - moz - line.

Apostropartheid
05-30-2008, 01:47 PM
I gathered it's a legal disclaimer, but it looks like a footnote because it has an unrequired asterisk (see usage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk#Written_text).) I watched that movie too; it's cool, and now I look to see which of the two is used and make...assumptions.

BoldUlysses
05-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Asterisks have been deleted on the disclaimers. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Helvetica will be used on my next website. Although part of me wishes Gill Sans would be adopted more widely (read: by PCs). It has one of the best light typefaces I've seen.

Apostropartheid
05-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Being fairly well adopting due to its inclusion in Office 2003 and above, a fair few of your audience are going to have Gill Sans or Gill Sans MT. It's fair enough to use it as long as you specify a decent fallback font, i.e.

html {
font: .814em/1.8 'gill sans', 'gill sans mt', 'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;
}

binaryWeapon
05-31-2008, 02:32 AM
Technical:
- Good! It validates (the HTML at least)
- Good! No tables for layout!
- On your contact page, if you click on the email link it doesn't take you anywhere. You could have easily just left it without a link

Design:
- I like it. Seems appropriate for the intended audience

Helvetica will be used on my next website. Although part of me wishes Gill Sans would be adopted more widely (read: by PCs). It has one of the best light typefaces I've seen. Trebuchet MS has a similar look to that. And despite being called "MS" it is standard on Windows and Macs.

Apostropartheid
05-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Good point: you could use Gill Sans (MT) then Trebuchet ^^ Hm, I never loooked at that font closely.

YaymeQ
05-31-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm using firefox 3.05 and the "Custom fixtures" link at the bottom of the main page extends past the white into the gray area ... I couldn't tell you why though. Maybe it's because the "Ordering information" link takes up two lines, where all the others take only one. *Shrug*

FWDrew
06-01-2008, 02:46 AM
I'm using firefox 3.05 and the "Custom fixtures" link at the bottom of the main page extends past the white into the gray area ... I couldn't tell you why though. Maybe it's because the "Ordering information" link takes up two lines, where all the others take only one. *Shrug*

Isnt FF 3 still in beta? I wouldnt worry about how a site looked in a non stable browser yet :thumbsup: If they have released it, then where have I been?!

While I am here, here is my $0.02:

Could Improve:

-Maybe its just me but I still dont really "feel" like there is a footer there ending the content.
-I would spicen up the logo "Tobacco Fixtures" as it seems a little too plain for my taste.

Liked:
-I really enjoy how simple the layout is. The large image to the right really works for the homepage.
-HTML Validates, always nice to see :)
-Navigation is clear and concise

Also, my regrets the management must have the marquee, thats tough too swallow :p

Nice job on the site,

Drew

BoldUlysses
06-01-2008, 03:38 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, and I appreciate the compliments on the site. Aside from the data entry on the catalog pages, it's been fun to put together. :)

I will consider a footer. I'll have to see what information/graphic treatment I can add, but I can see the value in having an "end cap," as it were, to the vertical progress of the pages.

Some links are dead because they're in the process of being set up (e-mail address, order forms, etc).

AFAIK, FF3 is still in beta, but it's good to know that's coming down the pike. I'll be on the lookout for it.

Again, thanks!

Apostropartheid
06-01-2008, 07:19 PM
It’s not in beta anymore: it’s at Release Candidate 1, which means that there’s a fair chance that the rendering will be pretty close when it’s released.

Have you ever heard about Google’s choice to include a copyright notice as a footer even though it wasn’t a legal decision? People like footers ’cause they can tell that’s where the content ends. Otherwise they get the impression that it’s not finished loading.

YaymeQ
06-02-2008, 10:45 PM
I didn't know it had been released, I just swiched to xubuntu and it came with ff3 already installed. I really haven't been following it. Sorry for the confusion.

~YaymeQ

Apostropartheid
06-02-2008, 11:16 PM
No worries; not sure why a released desktop would come with a fairly good but still unstable browser, but people do weird things. I think you can update to the latest version through Help > Check for Updates

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum