View Full Version : need advice on a text editor

YaymeQ
05-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi guys! I just swiched from windows to linux (I'm so proud of myself!) and I was using notepad++ to do my programming in and now I'm wondering if there's something better for linux (I'm sure there is) and if you guys could tell me what it was I'd be ever so grateful! I at least need it to do php html and css (Pretty basic I know). Thanks!!

~Yaymeq

liorean
05-27-2008, 01:23 AM
I personally find SciTE to be a good text editor. Though I usually get shouted down by vi or emacs fans if I suggest you use that on linux...

Trinithis
05-27-2008, 01:31 AM
I like using vim.

oesxyl
05-27-2008, 02:04 AM
I personally find SciTE to be a good text editor. Though I usually get shouted down by vi or emacs fans if I suggest you use that on linux...

I like using vim.
vi is alias for vim on almost all linux distros, :) I don't think that somebody still use vi, :)

Hi guys! I just swiched from windows to linux (I'm so proud of myself!) and I was using notepad++ to do my programming in and now I'm wondering if there's something better for linux (I'm sure there is) and if you guys could tell me what it was I'd be ever so grateful! I at least need it to do php html and css (Pretty basic I know). Thanks!!

~Yaymeq
I'm agree with liorean and trinithis. In my opinion is better to use all of them depending on context. For example when I need a editor with fast start up I use vi, for usual work I use emacs( in fact is not a editor is a enviroment).
Scite is easy to use from start, not like vi or emacs, and until you decide what to use is a good choice.
For emacs I recomand to start reading emacs tutorial, is to the help menu or C-h t, control h(help) t(utorial), :).

regards

YaymeQ
05-27-2008, 02:45 AM
Oh thanks guys, you're so reliable!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum