View Full Version : drop down table
05-23-2008, 09:51 PM
hey guys me again... ok im looking for a quick fix... i have a massive list of clubs around 600 and i want to put them into a drop down table... the problem is i only have it liek this
Aberdeen University AC,
Abingdon Amblers AC
and typing <option Abbey AC, ect ect will take me ages...is there a quicker way of doing this??
Is your list stroed in a MySQL db or a flat file? If in a Db, you might look into categorising them and then using a double combo drop down, where the first combo has the category and the second automatically populates with the clubs, based on the category chosen in the first drop down.
If your use a db and a server side language, you can achive this much more easily and make it a lot more manageable at the same time, with a lot less code than if simply written into an html page.
05-23-2008, 10:59 PM
at the moment its on a word file lol... would thrre be a fast way of getitng it nto my db or is it just a case of typing it in... i was going to input the result from the dropdown into my db anyway you see
1. you'll need to set up your db.
2. then you could save the word file as a csv and upload it to your server.
3. use phpMyAdmin (for example), to insert it to the db table.
4. build a script to query that db table and populate the drop down.
5. make sure those drop downs are in an html form.
6. submission of the form should lead to a second script.
7. That script should takle the params from the form, check them for safety and input them to the db.
You'll need the db, server-side language (perl/php etc), css, possibly JS and a load of time.
I would suggest you plan your tables structure for the db, paying good atention to 'normalisation' techniques. then build your scripts.
You may also need a script to add new clubs and/or categories to the db.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.