View Full Version : How do I fill textboxes?

Oahgneg
05-21-2008, 10:15 PM
I have a page which uses a session_user_id from

if(!isset($_SESSION['SESS_MEMBER_ID']) || (trim($_SESSION['SESS_MEMBER_ID'])=='')) {
header("location: login.php");

to get a row of record from a table to populate textboxes on a page

I understand the query to fish out the row is

mysql_query("SELECT CName, CAddress, CEmail,... FROM customer WHERE CuserID = '$_SESSION['SESS_MEMBER_ID']'")

But how do I fill the textboxes? Do I really need a different query for every textbox, or can I use $_GET/POST?

peteyb383
05-21-2008, 10:20 PM
<?php

//connection

$result = mysql_query("SELECT CName, CAddress, CEmail,... FROM customer WHERE CuserID = '$_SESSION['SESS_MEMBER_ID']'");

while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
?>
Name: <input type='text' name='cname' value='<?php echo $row['CName']; ?>'>";

Address: <input type='text' name='caddress' value='<?php echo $row['CAddress']; ?>'>";

// same for all text boxes...

<?php
}
?>

If it's only one row of data, then the while loop isn't even necessary. Just set $row=mysql_fetch_array($result) and print the rows out like I did and remove the brackets.

Oahgneg
05-21-2008, 11:07 PM
I apologise, but it seems like I made a boo-boo:o

1 of them isnt a textbox, but a dropdown list

<select name="country" id="country">
<option value="Australia">Australia</option>
<option value="Canada">Canada</option>
<option value="United States">United States</option>

so how do I fetch the Country from the $row=mysql_fetch_array($result) & make it the selected value in the dropdown list?:confused:

peteyb383
05-22-2008, 12:21 AM
You can do this:

$country = $row['country'];

<option value="Australia" <?php echo ($country == 'Australia'? "selected" : "");?>>Australia</option>
<option value="Canada" <?php echo ($country == 'Canada'? "selected" : "");?>>Canada</option>
<option value="United States" <?php echo ($country == 'United States'? "selected" : "");?>>United States</option>
</select>

Might be an easier way, but it is slipping my mind

bazz
05-22-2008, 01:00 AM
I am not a php guru but I think you may be able to do it in either the while loop or (if there is such a thing in php), a 'for' loop.

Someone else should be along soon to show the correct syntax but try something along the lines of

<?php

//connection

$result = mysql_query("SELECT CName, CAddress, CEmail,... FROM customer WHERE CuserID = '$_SESSION['SESS_MEMBER_ID']'");

while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
?>
<option value="$row">$row</option>
<?php
}
?>

</select>

hth

bazz

peteyb383
05-22-2008, 01:26 AM
I am not a php guru but I think you may be able to do it in either the while loop or (if there is such a thing in php), a 'for' loop.

Someone else should be along soon to show the correct syntax but try something along the lines of

I think his/her table only has one country per member, and he/she wants it selected within a select group.

So the whole list of countries would be there, and their specific one would be selected with my code. Yours would simply set it as an option.

bazz
05-22-2008, 01:30 AM
1 of them isnt a textbox, but a dropdown list

<option value="Australia">Australia</option>
<option value="Canada">Canada</option>
<option value="United States">United States</option>

OK, I just read this and thought my response might be of help.:eek:

bazz

syosoft
05-22-2008, 10:54 AM
For much cleaner forms, you might want to rip out the write_form_variables() function here http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=36142&page=2#post689694

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum