View Full Version : whats the best program for web design?

tylerbe992
05-19-2008, 09:00 PM
does anyone know the best program to web design and to make pages?
dreamweaver maybe? anyone?

oracleguy
05-19-2008, 09:11 PM
The best method is to hand code web pages instead of using a WYSIWYG, you can still do that using Dreamweaver if you want using the code editor in DW.

woop
05-19-2008, 09:16 PM
I like Dreamweaver a lot, so I'd recommend it. It all depends of course. As easy as I find Dreamweaver, there are even simpler alternative ways to getting basic sites up.

tylerbe992
05-19-2008, 09:30 PM
I like Dreamweaver a lot, so I'd recommend it. It all depends of course. As easy as I find Dreamweaver, there are even simpler alternative ways to getting basic sites up.

like what?

logictrap
05-19-2008, 09:45 PM
I also recommend Adobe Dreamweaver if you're going to do a lot of web design.

If you're only going to dabble I suggest getting a hosting plan that includes a free web design tool with templates you can customize.

tylerbe992
05-19-2008, 10:04 PM
but dreamweaver is so hard to figure out isnt it?
is there any good tutorials?

oracleguy
05-20-2008, 12:30 AM
like what?
You can use tools as basic and a utilitarian as notepad if you really want to. Most people prefer a text editor with at least syntax highlighting though.

o0O0o.o0O0o
05-20-2008, 01:11 AM
To me dreamweaver looks very heavy and consume too much resources .out of microsoft expression web and dreamweaver . which is better

binaryWeapon
05-20-2008, 01:42 AM
I don't like WYSIWYGs, I stick with plain ASCII text editors. My only debug tools are FF Error console and Firebug, ATM that's all I need. Depends on your situation, and the kind of code you are coding.

o0O0o.o0O0o
05-20-2008, 07:06 AM
i find this discussion interesting

http://www.webproworld.com/graphics-design-discussion-forum/57333-dreamweaver-vs-golive-vs-ms-expression-web.html

logictrap
05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
i find this discussion interesting

http://www.webproworld.com/graphics-design-discussion-forum/57333-dreamweaver-vs-golive-vs-ms-expression-web.html

Surprise, surprise adobe recently announced eol for GoLive.

Imho - I find it's faster to use a product like Dreamweaver where you have access to highlighted source code and fill in the blank tools for editing CSS and other object properties as well as quick visual feedback of the design.

To each their own.

Apostropartheid
05-20-2008, 04:22 PM
I've always used Notepad2 and, where I can't get at it, simple Notepad. I find the attempts of Dreamweaver to try and guess what I'm doing...irritating. And it bugs me about compatibility with IE when I use a valid object tag. The liars.

But I do use a trio of Abode's other products for images: Fireworks, Illustrator and Photoshop.

logictrap
05-20-2008, 05:58 PM
I find the attempts of Dreamweaver to try and guess what I'm doing...irritating.

Most of this can be disabled in the preferences.

My memory retention is pretty bad for storing endless object property values so I like having a property inspector that provides the options automatically. It's not perfect...

Apostropartheid
05-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Why would you disable it in preferences if you can just use the free tools?
object only requires two attributes--type and data--and a param element to work cross-browser if you're streaming flash.

logictrap
05-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Just pointing out that DW can disable the feature you find annoying...not trying to get you switch away from 'free' tools.

CSS objects can have multiple and different properties - way too many for me to remember.

FJbrian
05-21-2008, 04:30 AM
I downloaded Aptana Studio and HTML Kit recently.
Aptana Studio is very impressive and HTML-Kit looks like it's CSS diagram feature will get me thru some grrrr moments quite smoothly.

I still use WebScripter which is probably from 2001

Apostropartheid
05-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Aptana is cool, but it used wayy too many resources and took far too long to startup.

ovation74
05-22-2008, 04:43 AM
microsoft visual web developer > all

liorean
05-22-2008, 07:47 PM
microsoft visual web developer > allExcept for ANYTHING that has to do with scripting.

FJbrian
05-23-2008, 10:53 AM
liorean,
(you seem to like to play and try these out) see this
http://www.htmlkit.com/
see the pic, right hand side, under "making sense of CSS"

I'm loving that feature. I can't even decide if I like HTML-kit as a whole but that CSS thing rocks

Avril
05-26-2008, 12:15 PM
I'd recommend EasyHTML, if you're on a PC, Taco, if you're on a Mac. They're free, too! EasyHTML takes a little bit of getting used to.

Good luck!

Minkey
05-26-2008, 07:29 PM
I use Dreamweaver because I'm used to it and find it speeds up development a lot.

There are 35 programs tested here if you want a big choice!

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/05/07/35-useful-source-code-editors-reviewed/

fside
05-27-2008, 02:30 AM
does anyone know the best program to web design and to make pages?
dreamweaver maybe? anyone?

Maybe. There are so many.

But you have to know what you want to do. If you have a lot of links you want to use and reuse, if you have standard code snippets or various header info, if you want hard-coded pages to reflect relative page links even when linked from different directories, and much more, you'll need a sort of 'compiler'. I use a custom platform that pulls all the info on a page together in XML, then passes this rough XML to one or more XSLT templates, in order to get the final hard-coded page. These in turn load styles sheets and javascript when someone 'surfs' by. And the style sheets and javascript are written in a simple, but clever, text-editor that's been around for some time - Ultraedit.

If you don't have such need for a site-wide approach, but just a few 'pages', there are probably simple 'site-builders' available from your ISP. Just answer a few form questions and your 'site', is up. If you want a blog, just sign up with a blog-hoster (e.g. wordpress.com). And all the standard site formatting and coding is provided. One that people tend to like is 'dreamhost.com'. It will probably get this easy as the years go by. People come to understand more and more what is required, and a lot of the tedium is going to be gone, at whatever level you want the website.

BoldUlysses
05-29-2008, 08:07 PM
If you're using a Mac, I'd highly recommend TextWrangler. It's got syntax highlighting, a good search and replace function, nice multiple file view and is pretty lean and mean. Oh, and it's free.

No affiliations whatsoever; I just use it.

enkidu
05-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Dreamweaver is immensly powerful and is especially useful for managing large projects. 9/10 I just use notepad to get a basic HTML site up for someone though.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum