View Full Version : I need a little help with my first website

Geo7877
05-18-2008, 07:59 AM
I am making a website. I really don't know anything about doing so.

I bought a domain from Yahoo small business and they are also my server. I am using a Mac, Photoshop, and Dreamweaver to put them website together.

I'm building the pages in Photoshop, slicing it in Photoshop, saving it out as an HTML and moving it to Dreamweaver, typing in the linked parts and then uploading it.

The main problem I am having is that on my Mac the website looks fine, but on a PC it gets all distorted where the slices are. What can I do to stop this from happening? Again I really don't know any technical stuff, so the simplest solution would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Here is my website http://www.jgillustration.com

jhaycutexp
05-18-2008, 10:40 AM
just put these after the title tag.. or before your body begins..

<style>

*{margin:0;
padding:0;
}

</style>

CaptainB
05-18-2008, 11:17 AM
just put these after the title tag.. or before your body begins..

<style>

*{margin:0;
padding:0;
}

</style>

You're missing the type. Correct should be:

<style type="text/css">

*{margin:0px;
padding:0px;
}

</style>

Geo7877
05-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Ok, I tried and put it in the coding..
I haven't checked the PC compatibility but what did happen is the image isn't center anymore. It's over to the right side of the window, despite it being center in Dreamweaver.

How can I fix that? what part of the code is making it go to the left side instead of the center?

Again I really don't know anything about codes and such.

Apostropartheid
05-18-2008, 05:46 PM
If you've not checked compatibility with IE, this is going to be the least of your problems.

just saw link, I'll have a look. You will be very well-off to get a copy of Firefox and the Firebug extension running. It's a lifesaver for troubleshooting.

It's not over the right. It's on the left. (Checked in Safari, IE and Ffx.)

Geo7877
05-18-2008, 05:48 PM
If you've not checked compatibility with IE, this is going to be the least of your problems.

just saw link, I'll have a look. You will be very well-off to get a copy of Firefox and the Firebug extension running. It's a lifesaver for troubleshooting.

I just re-put the code in, I was messing with it, so it's back up with the code. So you might have to refresh to get the new version.

Apostropartheid
05-18-2008, 05:51 PM
After hard refreshes on all browsers except safari, which doesn't like them, I don't see anything on the right. The splash page is still centered.

Geo7877
05-18-2008, 05:52 PM

It's not over the right. It's on the left. (Checked in Safari, IE and Ffx.)

You're right, I said left the second time in that post, I don't know why I wrote right the first time. I'm d/ling firefox now.

I put the code into the second page of the site, the main.html. Did you notice any difference in it distorting near the slices? All the other pages should still distort.

Geo7877
05-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Ok, in using Firefox, it looks like it does on the PC I've checked with. And the main.html with the new code didn't change at all, and still is stuck to the left side of the screen.

Can you see the distortion I'm talking about? And the way that anything clickable has a blue box around it? What's causing that?

Apostropartheid
05-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Take out the * { margin: 0; padding: 0; } and put in a img { border: 0; }. That should fix it.

Geo7877
05-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Take out the * { margin: 0; padding: 0; } and put in a img { border: 0; }. That should fix it.

Wow, it seems to have worked.

I have no idea what all this code stuff means, but thank you. :)

CaptainB
05-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Wow, it seems to have worked.

I have no idea what all this code stuff means, but thank you. :)

The a img { border: 0; } tells the browser NOT to put any border around images which are linked.

The other rule resets margin and padding.

jhaycutexp
05-18-2008, 10:12 PM
You're missing the type. Correct should be:

<style type="text/css">

*{margin:0px;
padding:0px;
}

</style>

aw.. i was assuming he knows that.. sorry... my bad...:eek:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum