View Full Version : It's dead, Jim

Fumigator
05-14-2008, 08:41 PM
In light of how depressing the world is, we need a giggle. This box-out in my June 2008 Maximum PC made me giggle, so I figured I'd maybe give someone else a giggle too.

In an article on how to upgrade older PCs:

"Some Upgrades Are Just Plain Stupid"

PENTIUM III: It's dead, Jim. Really. It's really, really, really dead. You could shoot a P3 onto the Genesis planet and the only possible result would be that you wasted a photon torpedo casing. Just give up.

oracleguy
05-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Maybe Spock would like to play some games from the turn of the millennium?

I'd say Pentium 4s are more dead though. Especially since the P4 architecture had to be completely scrapped due to problems.

A P3 though runs extremely cool and can still work fine for many applications everything from a network router (like a smoothwall) to Windows XP if you are on a budget. Though the same argument could be make for the Willamette core P4s.

liorean
05-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Hehe, the P3 is far from dead. While Intel's USA devs threw out the P3 for an entirely new architecture and produced the now dead-end Netburst architecture, Intel's Israel devs took the P3 and from it developed the Pentium M, which became the basis for the Core architecture. And going back to the P3 simultaneously gave Intel a way to significantly reduce the thermal envelope without sacrificing too much performance. (Netburst never quite made it into laptop processors - it was running way too warm.)

Fumigator
05-14-2008, 11:40 PM
In the article's defense, it declares the P3 dead in regards to the ability to upgrade a P3 box using today's hardware. I don't think the article means to say that the P3 doesn't still have a lot of useful application.

oracleguy
05-15-2008, 03:13 AM
In the article's defense, it declares the P3 dead in regards to the ability to upgrade a P3 box using today's hardware. I don't think the article means to say that the P3 doesn't still have a lot of useful application.

Oh, then yeah. But so is most P4 systems now. Or any system without PCI express.

liorean
05-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Oh, then yeah. But so is most P4 systems now. Or any system without PCI express.Or any system still using DDR memory instead of DDR2 or DDR3. Or any system with USB1.0 or 1.1 instead of 2.0...

TheShaner
05-15-2008, 05:55 PM
@Liorean and OG:

You two sure live up to your moderator titles :p Both employed the "ignore pertinent line that gives rise to the quote" and go on to spam and kill the joke until Fumigator isn't giggling anymore, lol.

-Shane

Aradon
05-15-2008, 07:03 PM
...HEY

*cries a little bit on the inside as all the outdated equipment on his computer is listed*

oracleguy
05-15-2008, 07:35 PM
@Liorean and OG:

You two sure live up to your moderator titles :p Both employed the "ignore pertinent line that gives rise to the quote" and go on to spam and kill the joke until Fumigator isn't giggling anymore, lol.

-Shane

Lol.

It wasn't that funny to begin with, I got the joke though. I suppose the thread killer and I sucked the rest of the humor out of it by discussing their argument. lol.

TheShaner
05-15-2008, 08:07 PM
...HEY

*cries a little bit on the inside as all the outdated equipment on his computer is listed*
What's one man's junk is another man's treasure. You just keep hanging onto your tin can computer and maybe soon enough it can be put on display in a museum :D

Lol.

It wasn't that funny to begin with, I got the joke though. I suppose the thread killer and I sucked the rest of the humor out of it by discussing their argument. lol.
At least with you two, in any given discussion, we stand a high probability of also getting all the latest experimental, developmental and technological advancements around the world, including the pros and cons of the them and their predecessors, lol.

-Shane

effpeetee
05-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Judging by the speed of my PC, Windows 3.1 doesn't like the Pentium 2 at all.
Or maybe it's the other way round?

Frank

Angie1313
05-27-2008, 07:19 PM
ok...everyone break it up and go to their separate corners for a little...:)

effpeetee
06-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Yea I got my A+ certification...What about you?

Yeah, I bin sertifyed tu.

Wiv onners!

effpeetee

whizard
06-25-2008, 04:27 AM
haha..

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum