View Full Version : Why does Microsoft want us to move on?

Ludatha
04-27-2008, 08:35 PM
I mean come on Microsoft, all I wanted was a dual-boot, or can't you handle that?

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Windows XP that is bootable so I don't have to install it using Vista?

Well, I'll get back to using Ubuntu :) ta ta

Aradon
04-27-2008, 09:48 PM
lol

I'm sad that microsoft wants us to move past XP as well. I have no will, nor money, to buy a new system so that I can move onto Vista.

I think I'll just hold out for the newest OS that microsoft is claiming will be out in a year or so. Hopefully Vista will become just like Windows ME and we can all forget it happened.

oracleguy
04-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Where'd you get the one you have that isn't bootable?

Grant Palin
04-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Agree with Aradon, I do not have the inclination to pay out for a new system just to use Vista. Even then, I have tried Vista in stores and on my sister's laptop, and I don't think it has anything that I don't have already in XP. I'll just stay with XP until it no longer works.

In the meantime, I have been evaluating some Linux distros off and on. Ubuntu, Fedora, and SuSe are all looking good.

Aceramic
04-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Either get a second hard drive, or create a second partition on your existing drive. The first option would be preferable. I am 99% certain that you can dual-boot XP and Vista.

Or, it's entirely possible that I'm completely clueless. Who knows. :)

Apostropartheid
04-28-2008, 05:49 PM
In my experience all XP CDs are bootable. Are you sure you’ve set this up correctly in the system BIOS?

I personally like Vista, but it has a few filesystem flaws which hold it back. As a regular user of both (due to a sexy new computer I bought which the ‘love of my life’ hijacks regularly), I can say Vista is really nice once you get used to it.

Disk space is a cheap commodity nowadays, and it’s perfectly possible to do it on separate partitions (I’m sure you can even use a partition as a centralized base for your documents). But I wouldn’t do it without a copy of a decent Linux Live CD in case things mess up. Which they sometimes can.

Ludatha
04-29-2008, 12:24 AM
I love Vista, well half of it, Vista seems half finished, I can still see some icons and button styles from windows 95!

mjlorbet
04-29-2008, 03:41 AM
it'd just be nice if the rtm actually supported the bluetooth features from rc2

flynch01
04-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Ugh, I'm building a new system atm. I actually cannot stand vista, makes me feel sick using it. But, my new PC will have 4GB of ram... posibly more in the future. And the only way I'll get my PC to recognise all of it is to go vista. I'll still be using the windows classic skin though. No point in all this new fancy stuff it really isn't worth it.

oracleguy
04-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Ugh, I'm building a new system atm. I actually cannot stand vista, makes me feel sick using it. But, my new PC will have 4GB of ram... posibly more in the future. And the only way I'll get my PC to recognise all of it is to go vista. I'll still be using the windows classic skin though. No point in all this new fancy stuff it really isn't worth it.

Not true. To utilize 4 or more gigabytes of ram you have to use a 64-bit operating system. 32-bit Vista won't work with it either. There is a 64-bit version of Vista and XP. I'm using 64-bit XP on my computer, it works great.

BabyJack
05-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I heard Microsoft is currently developing OS 9 or 7 BETA.

Ill try and find it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7 and it was Windows 7.

Apostropartheid
05-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Windows 7.0 is after Vista, and yes probably has been in development for a bit. Hopefully Vista will be the ME of the modern era (:

NeoMoon
05-09-2008, 01:30 PM
lol

I'm sad that microsoft wants us to move past XP as well. I have no will, nor money, to buy a new system so that I can move onto Vista.

I think I'll just hold out for the newest OS that microsoft is claiming will be out in a year or so. Hopefully Vista will become just like Windows ME and we can all forget it happened.

I will never forget. This Vista crap-OS I'm running on has scarred my computer life forever.

Haha, and yet Microsoft can't live with the fact that their work on Vista was all a waste at the moment.

BabyJack
05-09-2008, 04:54 PM
I love vista and hate XP!

effpeetee
05-23-2008, 01:34 PM
I love vista and hate XP!
Poor fellow. Nil Desperandum. They'll probably find a cure.

Frank

BabyJack
05-23-2008, 02:39 PM
I really think XP is plain ugly.
Microsoft probably meant to call it XP because it is an emoticon for hate (sticking tongue out)

XP
See?
BabyJack

Apostropartheid
05-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Meh, I don’t know. I like the Royale and Zune themes. Vista is prettyyy, but XP can look decent.

Ludatha
05-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Meh, I donít know. I like the Royale and Zune themes. Vista is prettyyy, but XP can look decent.

Not using the default theme though, I bet Microsoft will hate your guts if you installed a theme that wasnt made by them.

Grant Palin
05-24-2008, 06:38 AM
Strange, I often read people railing against the XP Luna theme, yet I actually like it!

Apostropartheid
05-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Zune & Royale ARE Microsoft themes? And they've worked with Stardock in Vista, too, so they can't have much against themes...

Angie1313
05-27-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm going to go kicking and screaming to Vista for my home PC. I have it at work and find myself ready to dropkick it out the window on a daily basis.

Ludatha
05-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Well, My systems specs are on the high side, so my Vista experience is alright, I just wish that Microsoft would make an OS that isnt so 'In your face' if you get what I mean.

Like is something stops responding, a huge window comes up and says that you should terminate the program... when it is working fine...

BabyJack
05-31-2008, 12:23 PM
I think you have the sims, lol.
Anywho, it will only do that for a few programs. When something don't respond, I take the current disk out of the Drive, then it responds =D

Apostropartheid
05-31-2008, 02:56 PM
Quite a few programmes tend to be based out of a CD disk drive? Unless you're physically pulling the plug on your hard disk, which Windows and pretty much any OS wouldn't like at all.

tagnu
06-10-2008, 11:34 PM
I really think XP is plain ugly.

Then what do you call Win 9x and 2k? :cool:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum