View Full Version : jsp , asp , perl or cgi..

04-25-2008, 08:59 AM
im an engineering student.For web technology subject, i completed html, javascript..and now i want an advise as to what to start learning next..do i start of with jsp , asp , perl or cgi..as far as companies requirement and usefulness is concerned..

04-25-2008, 09:08 AM
I would pick a different option if possible: PHP. They are all useful designs, but I believe that Perl/CGI is not nearly as widely used anymore as it was near the start of the web. JSP and ASP are both good, but I think PHP is probably the most widely used scripting language, has a large following, works on pretty much any platform, and is free. ASP is Microsoft stuff, so it requires IIS servers, which are found in numerous companies. JSP requires a Java compiler on the server, and I would guess it is used the least of the three PHP, JSP, and ASP.

Just look at the thread counts on this forum: PHP: 23,707, ASP: 6,904, JSP: 1,190.

04-25-2008, 09:12 AM
thanks that was useful

04-25-2008, 09:31 AM
No problem, there are a couple other options out there, most notably Ruby. In conjunction with any programming language, it is good to learn how to use a Database (like MySQL) in order to use some of the wonderful features the languages provide.

04-25-2008, 06:54 PM
thanx for help