View Full Version : Best way to view content

BabyJack
04-21-2008, 09:47 AM
I want to begin with my websites content. But I don't know how to put it. What is the best way to let viewers see my content?

VIPStephan
04-21-2008, 11:55 AM
What do you mean?

The best way to put content is to mark it up semantically (http://brainstormsandraves.com/articles/semantics/structure/) with HTML. But I guess that’s not what you wanted to know.

BabyJack
04-21-2008, 01:44 PM
How to display content, like in iFrames and stuff, but because they are depreciated, I don't want them. I think I know how to get around them.

Pennimus
04-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Don't use them would be the most obvious.

Whatever is wrong with headings and paragraphs?

BabyJack
04-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Thats what I was thinking - So ill do it!

I SAY THIS THREAD IS CLOSED - EVEN THOUGH IM NOT A MODERATOR :D

pilas14
04-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Well if the obvious answer is headers and paragraphs, you guys really need to think outside the box a little more. What if he wants an artist based site? Headers and paragraphs might be a little traditional. He might want to try a graphic presentation instead of regular text. Just a thought....

^^;

_Aerospace_Eng_
04-22-2008, 11:30 PM
He might want to try a graphic presentation instead of regular text. Just a thought....

^^;

At which point you can STILL style the headers and paragraphs with background images while still being semantically correct in coding. :rolleyes:

pilas14
04-22-2008, 11:50 PM
At which point you can STILL style the headers and paragraphs with background images while still being semantically correct in coding. :rolleyes:

It just doesn't seem like a very helpful reply to me.

mjlorbet
04-22-2008, 11:55 PM
hrm, don't criticize aero, it's not nice, he's been around forever, and has solved many many problems. note the difference between 14,213 (and counting) and 29, and 291 (and counting) and 2. even if the post wasn't specific (as it fits mainly into the context above it) there's no reason to point it out without suggesting something of your own.

given the loose nature of the question i would suggest div layouts myself but without knowing the actual content of the site i can't really be certain, generally this is the way to go though. if it's tabular data then use tables. basically make the design fit the content.

pilas14
04-23-2008, 12:21 AM
hrm, don't criticize aero, it's not nice, he's been around forever, and has solved many many problems. note the difference between 14,213 (and counting) and 29, and 291 (and counting) and 2. even if the post wasn't specific (as it fits mainly into the context above it) there's no reason to point it out without suggesting something of your own.

given the loose nature of the question i would suggest div layouts myself but without knowing the actual content of the site i can't really be certain, generally this is the way to go though. if it's tabular data then use tables. basically make the design fit the content.

I did suggest something. *points to above* I've had some great respect for aero, I'm just pointing out that it wasn't very helpful. And just because I'm a nooblet doesn't mean I'm not entitled to my own opinions. I wasn't even really trying to criticize. I was trying to subtly hint that he should be more helpful. I don't know enough about content structure to give much more than the absolute positioning div speech. Graphic presentation seems an obvious alternative route, that's all I was trying to say. And if he was interested he could ask more about it. Gosh, so when did post count give everyone the right to be all high and mighty? As far as I knew, this is a free to say what you want forum. Aero has much right to be unhelpful or vague as I have the right to tell him it wasn't very helpful in my opinion. Key words there, in my opinion. I don't know why you had to pull the post thing. That's really irritating. Just because I just found this forum doesn't make me teh-ultra-nooblet-who-knows-nothing-and-obviously-must-bow-down-to-all-of-many-posts. Obviously, unlike you, I don't look up or down on anyone.

mjlorbet
04-23-2008, 12:23 AM
sorry if it offended you, just thought it useless to waste the space on that.

pilas14
04-23-2008, 12:30 AM

Tis cool. I just used to be a mod at losersparadise.com and had to leave because of some big time posters who wouldn't give a girl some respect. And in that case I only really wanted respect because I was hosting the whole website. Needless to say, when they turned on me, I booted them. lol.

Oh and I had a good idea on the content alignment thing. I once saw this awesome layout which used tag cloud formats to align their content. So there were a bunch of graphic based clouds, but they css aligned everything so it would move with the content. All the content just floated across the screen as you read. It was pretty nifty. But to bring that idea to a point: I think graphic based content is really overrated, but it's worth a try. You can still use the old header and content method with it too. You can try the header, index, footer method of the new .php include. It's all up to what you think is great for your content.

rafiki
04-23-2008, 12:37 AM

There is no need for sorrow. This is purely about opinion. Aero simply said what he thought he needed to say, where as the reply was a different opinion.
Really in a forum of any structure you should never see abusive or offensive language.
And I think Aero is correct.
Simply use semantic html with background-images etc.. you can achieve anything

Pennimus
04-23-2008, 09:17 AM
You can try the header, index, footer method of the new .php include.

There's a new PHP include?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum