View Full Version : how to put images inside a vector

04-17-2008, 12:46 AM
how do put images inside a vector in photoshop?
I was trying to put L.A. skyline. Any ideas?

04-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Photoshop is better for rasterized images, and Illustrator for vector. So I'm not sure what the issue is, but just open the image, and then copy it onto your vector. Vectors aren't technically images either, they are just points of a line which have certain attributes (like line color, thickness, etc). So you can't actually put an image INSIDE a vector. You can combine them by putting them onto new layers in Photoshop.

04-27-2008, 04:30 PM
If you had Paint Shop Pro you will be able to use raster and vector layers.
1. It's cheaper
2. You can do most of the stuff in Photoshop and more!

BabyJack out!

04-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Or GIMP, which is free.

05-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Both of those are good in what they do (although they certainly can't do more than Photoshop). But the main problem is that neither of them has CMYK functionality, so they are not any use for print design. :)

But otherwise, what jeremywilken said is right.

Basically what you are trying to achieve is to create a mask. There are numerous ways to achieve this in Photoshop, either using vectors, or by using pixel masks.

What I would do is to create the vector in Photoshop and then create a new layer. I would then use the layer to make an alpha channel selection and then paste the image inside that selection. Illustrator would achieve the same effect by masking (although you can use the vectors in Photoshop to do much the same thing).

Hope that helps.