View Full Version : Form building help

roly_33
04-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Hello,

I am trying to build an online booking form for a campsite site that I am working on - but am really struggling to find a simplish guide on how to do this. I just want some help on a basic form that checks all the fields have been filled out before sending the information to a csv file - no need for any credit card security just a simple form.

Can anybody help a newbie out please.

FWDrew
04-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Hello,

I am trying to build an online booking form for a campsite site that I am working on - but am really struggling to find a simplish guide on how to do this. I just want some help on a basic form that checks all the fields have been filled out before sending the information to a csv file - no need for any credit card security just a simple form.

Can anybody help a newbie out please.

Hi roly,

I have already replied to your other post, I'm sure theres no need to post a thread twice. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Drew

roly_33
04-16-2008, 10:52 AM
I was just making sure that my post got maximum exposure...and its in different sections...

gnomeontherun
04-16-2008, 03:47 PM
It doesn't matter, most people here check a lot of the sections. If you place the thread in the appropriate section you are doing the best you can.

abduraooft
04-16-2008, 03:57 PM
I was just making sure that my post got maximum exposure...and its in different sections...I request you to read the forum rules and guidelines, before posting here!

http://www.codingforums.com/postguide.htm
http://www.codingforums.com/rules.htm

FWDrew
04-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi Roly,

I read your other post in the other topic but didn't have time to reply before it was closed.

Anyway, I'd be willing to try and help, just let me know when you get more progress made ;)

Drew

kiwibrit
04-17-2008, 08:24 AM
Briefly:

Use javascript to verify that all required entries are there - that lets the client know immediately if there is a problem. Repeat this verification server side (since not all clients may have javascript enabled) where I suggest you also check for injection attacks.

Also server side to meet your requirements, I would update a flat file in csv format.

Hope that is sufficient for you to search around and get going - and come back if you have specific problems.

roly_33
04-23-2008, 10:47 AM
I have now got details of the server that the website will be hosted on - and I really need help with the production of a perl script that validates my form on the server - I can handle the javascript on the page - I think! but my experience with perl is very limited - Drew can you help tried to private message you but you don't allow 'em...

I have the fields I want to validate -

FWDrew
04-28-2008, 01:16 AM
I have now got details of the server that the website will be hosted on - and I really need help with the production of a perl script that validates my form on the server - I can handle the javascript on the page - I think! but my experience with perl is very limited - Drew can you help tried to private message you but you don't allow 'em...

I have the fields I want to validate -

Hi Roly,

My apologies, I missed this thread earlier, and have been very sick recently.

Also, I received your pm, but way after you sent it.....strange.

I cant promise I can be of great help, but if you post some or all of your code, we will see what we can do with the server side validation. :)

roly_33
04-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi Drew

Hope you are feelin' better now -

Righto I have put the form that I need to output to a csv file on to web - I have done the javascript validation (as best as I know how!) - so I need some help with the scripting on the server that check all the mandatory fields have been filled out and then displays a submission page (thanks.html yet to be built) and sends the data to a csv file which can be downloaded by the campsite owners..

Is that fairly straightforward? Any help gratefully recieved....

link:- http://www.freewebs.com/rtbh/woodyhyde/booking.html

FWDrew
05-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Hi Drew

Hope you are feelin' better now -

Righto I have put the form that I need to output to a csv file on to web - I have done the javascript validation (as best as I know how!) - so I need some help with the scripting on the server that check all the mandatory fields have been filled out and then displays a submission page (thanks.html yet to be built) and sends the data to a csv file which can be downloaded by the campsite owners..

Is that fairly straightforward? Any help gratefully recieved....

link:- http://www.freewebs.com/rtbh/woodyhyde/booking.html

Hi Roly,

First off, it will help to know exactly what fields need to be validated and how so. I.e A phone number needs to have at least 7 digits...

Second, what are you using to send the form? PHP I am assuming? Can you post the script you have that takes the info and sends it to the file? That is what we will want to use to sanitize and validate the form.

Again, my apologies for the late reply.

Regards,

Drew

roly_33
05-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi Drew,

Thats the issue - I don't have any script - not to fussed to check that filed are filled out correctly in this instance just what to check that the fields have data in them...and pop the data into a csv file

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum