View Full Version : What do you think is on the horizon for web development?

gnomeontherun
04-05-2008, 09:02 PM
This is just a general question, because its always good to get a little discussion going on.

What do you think is on the horizon for web development in 5-10 years? 10 years ago this was Yahoo (http://web.archive.org/web/19980630072557/http://www.yahoo.com/) and I'm curious what you think will be important in the next leap of internet history. What kinds of technologies will be used, what abilities will users have, what will the landscape be like in your perception?

Andrew Johnson
04-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Well if we follow Yahoo's lead; a lot more clutter.

However I think it will be quite the opposite, more huge jumps in efficiency and ease-of-use.

mjlorbet
04-06-2008, 07:39 AM
i agree, in part. i think we'll have a lot more frameworks that will cut the amount of code required to do what we're doing today greatly. however, i believe we'll get a proportionally large number of people using them incorrectly & in a way that will increase the amount of code required. that in combination with the inevitable outreach of broadband tech to every corner of the world, we'll see more & more streaming content along with new types of it, ajax really is the beginning of the future, native rich content on the web will be another, at the end of the next 10 years be expecting browsers that natively support dynamic content via tags rather than through scripting alone & server side languages created specifically for streaming xhtml content (kind of like the irc php script, search for the posts) for "slideshow-esqe" rendering, that combined with client side scripting i think will usher in the web 3.0 buzz word.

gnomeontherun
04-06-2008, 09:05 PM
I've wondered if internet users will be more savvy? And I think the answer is not likely. Its going to be up to us to make anything really cool, really easy.

Found this about 'web 3.0. its amusing: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/web3point0

nicolemurphy
04-07-2008, 01:48 AM
may be there will be a new name. Liek current is web 2.0 Next can be web zigma or some other fancy name.

oracleguy
04-07-2008, 07:26 AM
I've wondered if internet users will be more savvy? And I think the answer is not likely. Its going to be up to us to make anything really cool, really easy.

I propose an even better question: Will web developers be more savvy? Will the amount of bad code/interfaces/etc. written decline?

mjlorbet
04-07-2008, 07:50 AM
in my humble opinion, no. as long as there are not pre-defined layouts embedded directly in html (instead of through editors such as dreamweaver, frontpage (thank god it's dead), visual studio, etc) people won't ever come to a common point in actually making usable user interfaces, about 50% will be usable, 10% will be great and 40% will be in a perpetual state of "site under construction" or horrible repair.

again, without more intervention from the frameworkers, i don't think that the amount of code will decrease either (a taglib directive (from jsp) lookalike would be an interesting addition to the xhtml spec, using the namespace import mechanisms to bring in custom tags to save code & allow more modularity) without fundamental changes to the language or the code we consider valid. i think xhtml will eventually help in this, but in the present age of trying to show everyone how to get their html 4.01 valid.... there's a long way to go before we can realize any solid positives from it.

Apostropartheid
04-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Hopefully, I think that we'll be able to modulate (X)HTML a lot easier, especially seeing as that was what XHTML was designed for. As long as we could style it properly, then that might be a good way to address any shortcomings in the specs.

If there is another Web ANYTHING, they'd better be creative enough to come up with a new name. I had my mate jump around the room about it, severely annoyed that anyone would even consider trying to number a trend in design which isn't any different to how design naturally evolves over time. Meh.

It's probably wishful thinking that web standards will become an absolute requirement, but I do like to think to myself that we're reaching people; and hopefully, more by the time we turn 290 and have a heart attack in a still underfunded NHS hospital.

pilas14
04-10-2008, 11:36 PM
I think they're going to come out with something entirely new and more efficient before they fix any of the coding out right now. Including the whole World Wide Web in general.

Hopefully, it will be something in our lifetime. I'm rooting for virtual reality.

gnomeontherun
04-10-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm rooting for virtual reality.

I'm kind of partial to real reality...:rolleyes:

Deacon Frost
04-10-2008, 11:40 PM
The elimination of Tables.

The elimination of www.

The "make your own tld". ;) (or elimination of tlds)

Virtual Reality?

Banned internet?

Who knows?

With how things are going now, the internet could continue being a multi trillion dollar way of income, or it could be outlawed from citizens?

lol, bit of fantacism. But really I'm just hoping technology leaps, before web development does. For instance, better equipment to run more high tech devices. Maybe the elimination of the hard drive?

pilas14
04-10-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm kind of partial to real reality...:rolleyes:

Well, the new generations love video games, so I'm thinking the new xbox 360 might really be a 360 experience. I don't think virtual reality would be for me, but I think it would be something neat to experience before I die.

pilas14
04-10-2008, 11:43 PM
The elimination of Tables.

The elimination of www.

The "make your own tld". ;)

Virtual Reality?

Banned internet?

Who knows?

With how things are going now, the internet could continue being a multi trillion dollar way of income, or it could be outlawed from citizens?

lol, bit of fantacism. But really I'm just hoping technology leaps, before web development does. For instance, better equipment to run more high tech devices. Maybe the elimination of the hard drive?

They can pry my hard drive from my cold dead fingers with the imprints of the ram still on my fingers. Or whatever. Good imagery can't be bought. But you can still pay me for it. ;)

gnomeontherun
04-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Someday the internet will be the air we breathe. Ahhh the Matrix is coming!

Virtual reality as a game is one thing, but I've read up on the development trends (which we are apparently going to be able to produce a computer smarter than us in about 10 years) and its a bit scary how much technology is predicted to develop in the next couple decades. Think about going to the store, dropping a grand on a new computer, and having it be smarter than you? Does that freak anyone else out?

But as far as web development, I'm really really looking at things like this: are developers going to have better tools, what else will the internet be integrated with, and so on.

pilas14
04-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Someday the internet will be the air we breathe. Ahhh the Matrix is coming!

Virtual reality as a game is one thing, but I've read up on the development trends (which we are apparently going to be able to produce a computer smarter than us in about 10 years) and its a bit scary how much technology is predicted to develop in the next couple decades. Think about going to the store, dropping a grand on a new computer, and having it be smarter than you? Does that freak anyone else out?

But as far as web development, I'm really really looking at things like this: are developers going to have better tools, what else will the internet be integrated with, and so on.

I'm sorry, but I still hold the firm theory that computers are only as smart as the people who program them. And I know a lot of programmers. None of them know how to tie their shoelaces, which is nothing against anyone here. I like to tie shoelaces, actually, so consequently I don't mind picking up after my smarter-than-freakin' Einstein fiance.

I consider it my job in life. That, and knitting socks for my cat.

Deacon Frost
04-11-2008, 12:11 AM
I'm sorry, but I still hold the firm theory that computers are only as smart as the people who program them. And I know a lot of programmers. None of them know how to tie their shoelaces, which is nothing against anyone here. I like to tie shoelaces, actually, so consequently I don't mind picking up after my smarter-than-freakin' Einstein fiance.

I consider it my job in life. That, and knitting socks for my cat.

The problem with that is there's something called machine life, I think I head it was called that anyways. Basically, since human brains are so limited, the ability to think more than we are able to think isn't very hard. A computer can already do things in seconds that man takes quite a while to do.

The calculator was the most ingenious tool of its time, and man always before that thought that nothing would be able to do such things without thinking about it for a very long time, or writing it down.

The progression of which we have reached doesn't limit us anymore. Stem Cell Research is the language of life, we will be able to control every thing that lives in DNA, and the like. Why don't you think that computers will be doing the same thing. Soon these machines will live.

I know it sounds far fetched, but it's really not too far off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KdOPY1Iqiw

Just think of what our computers will be able to do. Web Development will be done through pure thought.

pilas14
04-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Wouldn't that be a nice relief.

I wouldn't worry about computers being able to think any time soon. We are researching into stem cells, but I think it will be at least another century before we come up with anything resembling A.I. And yes, I agree that there will be learning computers in the future, but humans are still capable of that.

Think about it this way. Computers are man made. They only know what we know or what we tell it to know. What we tell it to do. So even though they may be smarter than humans, I suppose it would be better to say that they're man made and so will always have man's flaws.

Does that make more sense?

And if you're talking about evolution in computers...well I guess anything is possible.

gnomeontherun
04-11-2008, 12:33 AM
The point is that the technology will be out there, and there will always be someone who is willing to push the technology past its original intent. This could mean wars which are fought with machines, but also technologies which an oppressive nation may wish to use on us that we can't imagine. I'm glad you believe in the positive aspects of human nature, but there are some ugly features we have. That simple calculator, yeah it has been advanced to a point where it now is able to produce exact calculations in seconds for a nuclear missile trajectory. Thats today...think about in 50 years?

pilas14
04-11-2008, 12:50 AM
I think we're already using machines for war, I believe. Those little robots who can go in and scope out a building before troops even go in. And computer guided missiles, for instance. I think it's a brilliant tactical move, but I disagree with the ethics.

Heck, a calculator is smarter than I am. I can't do simple multiplication without a pen and paper.

I still like to think the best of everyone, until they prove me wrong. I think it's a sad thing when we lose trust in our fellow man. I just think we've lost sight of how good most people truly are because people don't help people anymore. The government helps people. We don't take in bums off the street. Welfare puts them in substandard apartments. I just don't get where the kindness goes. And don't start with me about 'Oh the church does a lot for humanity.' I know they do. But since when did we do something kind just for the hell of it. As far as I can tell, the church does nice things because their diety tells them to.

Off topic: I can't believe you didn't say anything regarding me knitting socks for my cat. *le sigh* I must be losing my touch.

gnomeontherun
04-11-2008, 12:53 AM
I would very much enjoy philosophizing with you sometime :)

I'm allergic to cats, so I suppose the reference made me sneeze and forget to mention it!

We've digressed pretty far from the topic, so lets stick to it if you don't mind.

Deacon Frost
04-11-2008, 12:54 AM
The thing is, humans can only learn to a certain point before the knowledge becomes limited. Our brains are not able to retain certain levels of information. Where as a computer may be able to define infinity, man is not supposed to be able to. We invented computers to do things we are unable to do, even if we program them to do what we tell them to, those unexpected results are actions of the computers wiring. Sure, right now they can't advance...

But with technological advancements in computers, we may one day see the computers tell us a thing or two. Like the meaning of life, even?

As it is now, computers are far more advanced than man is... I'd like to see you do as much as a computer can in one day ;). Lol, but even so, the science behind it will one day be beyond our febile minds.

E: for the topic of kindness, I would have to say it's with intelligence that we learn to not be so kind. Knowledge is power, therefore through our greed we care not for the thoughts of others.

E: I'm watching this right now :: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/227

I'll tell you if it's good.

pilas14
04-11-2008, 12:57 AM
I'd like a computer to get up and park my car. Oh wait! They can do that! Haha.

Well, I don't know about everything I can do, but I know man created computers. Computers are flawed. Viruses, programming language faults, the blue screen of death. They're all things we programmed insufficiently. At least, I know I've seen the blue screen of death a few times.

And even the dreaded message, "Please insert drive."

Deacon Frost
04-11-2008, 01:24 AM
I'd like a computer to get up and park my car. Oh wait! They can do that! Haha.

Well, I don't know about everything I can do, but I know man created computers. Computers are flawed. Viruses, programming language faults, the blue screen of death. They're all things we programmed insufficiently. At least, I know I've seen the blue screen of death a few times.

And even the dreaded message, "Please insert drive."

Yes, but through trial and error they can achieve perfection. Mainly because if they can learn, and they learn to fix every error (because they aren't limited like humans), then they can basically become their own life forms.

It current computers, and human computers that have issues. But computers that have developed themselves shouldn't have such errors.

BTW: That video is awesome.

oesxyl
04-11-2008, 02:28 AM
I bet on yahoo, :)

This is about future:

http://netfuture.org/fdnc/index.html

read at least chapter 18, :)
http://netfuture.org/fdnc/ch18.html

best regards

gnomeontherun
04-11-2008, 06:08 AM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=6&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kurzweilai.net%2Fmeme%2Fmemelist.html%3Fm%3D14&ei=KuT-R7rfHojiiAGW99y1Cg&usg=AFQjCNFR3AreXIWQrcsiskt5u_y8W6vGEg&sig2=-30AHCgp9al7e1l1qny4Dg

This book is called Age of Spiritual Machines.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum