View Full Version : Little review please! :)

Chaoticx
03-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Hi guys-

http://teamspeak.gyorn.com/

Making a site for a buddy. My first attempt at making a site using only css for the layout and only 1 or 2 tables for some small things. Not completely done yet, just want to see what the consensus is on appearance and functionality before I get everything else in there.

Currently, the "Order" button only gives an alert to your order, which will be replaced soon by a redirect to Paypal.

Left, right, header and footer was included using server-side html include statements. Everything else you can see from view source as I'm sure you all know.

My feelings don't get hurt easily so feel free to critique this site and the code as much as you want! I'm trying to get better! :)

Thanks a lot everyone!

I realize it doesn't validate anymore. Does anyone know how to use onClick and stuff like that with XHTML? I just tried revalidating it and saw it has some name convention errors and stuff like that which I'll fix tomorrow. Time for sleep though. :)

abduraooft
03-22-2008, 09:21 AM
In xHtml, all attributes and tags mmust be of lower case, say div,span,table..... and id,name,class,onclick, onblur ....
The total size in KB of the home page seems to be large, you could use http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/ to check this

oesxyl
03-22-2008, 09:22 AM
hi,

I realize it doesn't validate anymore. Does anyone know how to use onClick and stuff like that with XHTML? I just tried revalidating it and saw it has some name convention errors and stuff like that which I'll fix tomorrow. Time for sleep though. :)

I use firefox and webdeveloper extension for that. It has a Tool menu with validators submenus, html/css/feed.
Usualy the validator show more errors then really are because some of them triggers others. If you start from the ttop you avoid a lot of trouble with fixing.
Probably there are also other methods/tools.

for javascript, debugers, also for firefox, firebug extension and venkman.
I just forgot, :)

I realise that some people don't know about this:

http://browsershots.org/http://www.nautilus.ky/main.php

could help to see how your site look in different browsers.

best regards

Chaoticx
03-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Alright, it validates again. Lot of naming convention errors for names of divs, couldn't start with a number. Whoops!

Anyway, I really appreciate the site links and stuff guys but I was hoping for more of an opinion on the layout/functionality of the site? I knew about browsershots and have been using it during the development of this site and it's been amazing help showing me the layout on different browsers.

So do you guys have any tips/critique for the layout/functionality?

oesxyl
03-23-2008, 01:00 AM
- maybe you can optimize the speed, look to the image size in speed report
- remove "Navigation" from menu bar, ... or write "Link" before each link, ;)
- don't forget metatags, now you don't have
- I suppose it's not the case to talk about content

I like the layout and the site seems functional, I don't see anything else that could be improved. Good luck with it, :)

best regards

Apostropartheid
03-23-2008, 07:15 PM
You put it all in lowercase, e.g. onclick="event();"

Chaoticx
03-24-2008, 03:30 AM
Cool. It all validates now which I'm happy about. There's something about messy code that I hate, ya know?

binaryWeapon
03-24-2008, 03:34 AM
It seems like the large top image is a little fuzzy.

_Aerospace_Eng_
03-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Those two buttons you have on the left side that changes the prices need to have return false; in the onclick part after your function call. Without that if you scroll down and hit a button it returns to the top of the page. I would also get rid of the word "Navigation:" and center the links.

Chaoticx
03-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Oh very useful info. Thanks a lot. Will make those changes. Thanks everyone!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum