View Full Version : Are W3C validated websites rank better on search engines ?

03-20-2008, 11:42 AM
I have heard that w3c websites are prefered by search engines ,so should I make my website w3c validated or is it just waste of time?

03-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Heh, wrong place to ask my friend! Almost everyone on this forum is a developer or designer, and of those most are web standards evangelists :thumbsup:. So you will likely get a lot of answers to your question biased towards "yes".

However, while I support standards compliant code and validation for other reasons, there is no proof that it impacts on your search rankings at all.

Nor is there any logical reason for search engines to ever consider valid code as being an indicator that a site is more relevant to a users query than one with code that does not validate. Users don't care how a site is coded - so nor will search engines.

03-20-2008, 05:48 PM
The basic idea is http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/semantic-HTML.cfm

03-20-2008, 07:18 PM
All other things being equal, a website using semantic markup will have better search engine results. I can't imagine that validation would make a difference, though.

03-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Not to mention using valid code will solve a lot of cross browser rendering issues. And in general makes for easier to maintain code.

03-21-2008, 07:47 AM
In my SEO class it discussed this and said while nobody knows exactly how they rank, it does make sense to take the precaution. I say do it, for various reasons, but also because it just can't hurt to do. And if there is a bonus to valid pages, your site will be in the extreme minority of sites that are valid!
I like to read this blog from time to time and here is a post which mentions this towards the bottom.