View Full Version : Problems calling a session

03-10-2008, 01:23 AM
The problem i have really confuses me.

When i classify a session to the user (in either the login.php or register.php page) the page userarea.php displays properly.

If i then refresh the page or click a link to userarea.php all the info disappears.

I have tried echoing the session variable to see whats going on and instead of being "1" (the users id number) the variable changes to "Array" once refreshed.

I never actually touched the variable and all three pages have session_start(); in them. :confused:

Any ideas?

03-10-2008, 01:28 AM
Find out what's in the session variable:

It's being modified somewhere in the file(or one that it includes). Do a search for $_SESSION in your file(s).

03-10-2008, 03:29 AM
It is likely that the session is not starting. Add the following two lines after the first opening <?php tag to get php to help you -

ini_set ("display_errors", "1");

03-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the error reporting code. I probably should just leave that in for good practice.

I found the error too. I was calling a variable called $username and my session was called $_SESSION['username'] which for some reason made itself break.

Is there a way of turning this off?

03-10-2008, 06:57 PM
That's due to register globals being on. Turn them off or use unique names for all program/post/get/cookie/session variables.

In addition to being a security risk by intentionally populating same name variables from external variables, register globals also causes unintentional overwriting of same name variables even if you don't want them to be.