View Full Version : Allowing huge downloads > 3gb

nikos101
03-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I need users to be able to download files greater than 3GB but < than 10gb.

Is there any issues I should be aware of.

For example, what happens if they need to continue the download later(ie, they have downloaded 1gb and the computer crashes)

mlse
03-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Perhaps you could implement a torrent server and seed the downloads from your server.

p4plus2
03-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Those are cpu suckers though and will take up a ton of usage.....

mlse
03-07-2008, 03:26 PM
I thought that torrents were supposed to spread the load between hosts? (provided you implement the server as read-only)

nikos101
03-07-2008, 03:43 PM
hmm torrent server you say. Does that run from my computer? Is it easy to set up with php?

able
03-07-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm guessing you want limit access to the files?

If not, then install mod_throttle or something that'll manage transfer speeds so one person doesn't tie you up.

If you do, rather than passing the file through php which is fairly common - use the same idea of making a token to represent the file one time, but create a symlink on the system under that token name.

This way php doesn't handle the file and you can limit/obscure access. Simply remove the symlink when access rights are over.

nikos101
03-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm guessing you want limit access to the files?

If not, then install mod_throttle or something that'll manage transfer speeds so one person doesn't tie you up.

If you do, rather than passing the file through php which is fairly common - use the same idea of making a token to represent the file one time, but create a symlink on the system under that token name.

This way php doesn't handle the file and you can limit/obscure access. Simply remove the symlink when access rights are over.

Can this process be automated?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum