View Full Version : The slashdotting has begun!

Alex Vincent
03-05-2008, 10:36 PM
http://it.slashdot.org/it/08/03/05/1945202.shtml

Our own forum has a link on the front page...

Inigoesdr
03-06-2008, 12:11 AM
That explains a lot.

WA
03-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Well that explains the 10s of thousands of database connection errors sent to me via email. Argh.

_Aerospace_Eng_
03-06-2008, 02:51 AM
Why would there be database errors? To much data going through them?

WA
03-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Well, vBulletin automatically sends an email to the admin when it can't connect to the database, so they aren't actual database errors per say, just error messages on connecting to it.

abduraooft
03-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Interesting! I think only some fraction of users click on that link to CF. How they manages that much of users with them?
BTW, let's counter attack them. WA may fix a time and let all of us(the CF community ;)) attack(access) their site simultaneously. :D

liorean
03-06-2008, 08:27 AM
BTW, let's counter attack them. WA may fix a time and let all of us(the CF community ;)) attack(access) their site simultaneously. :DReally, a DDoS attack on /. sounds like an awful idea. Their servers are not subject to the slashdot effect, you see, since they have such an enormous traffic already. (After all, the number of visitors to slashdot that visited the CF link is probably a low percentage of their user numbers, while it's a massive percentage of ours.)

VIPStephan
03-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Well that explains the 10s of thousands of database connection errors sent to me via email. Argh.

Indeed, I’ve had a database connection error recently when I clicked on the index link in the breadcrumb navigation. It showed some vBulletin error page then (that almost made me think you’re using an IIS server). Don’t know why that happened, though.

And by the way: You can switch off that function so it doesn’t send you a message every time a connection error occurs if that’s bugging you.

WA
03-06-2008, 10:59 AM
That's a good idea actually VIPStephan. I've gone ahead and disabled those emails for now.

bcarl314
03-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Interesting! I think only some fraction of users click on that link to CF. How they manages that much of users with them?
BTW, let's counter attack them. WA may fix a time and let all of us(the CF community ;)) attack(access) their site simultaneously. :D

The only group remotely capable of disabling slashdot would be digg users :D

But I don't even think they could do it.

abduraooft
03-06-2008, 03:33 PM
@liorean: why are you making so much troubles to WA by posting such newses ? :D

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum