View Full Version : Basic website building in HTML!

03-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm looking into starting to build a personal website and am learning the basic HTML coding.

I have a rather basic question but if I'm creating the code in notepad how do I upload it on internet explorer in a web browser??

Pleas let me know as I'm keen to view my coding?

Cheers, Barney.

03-05-2008, 03:29 PM
If its just html your using you can simply click on "File >> open" and then browse for your .htm/html file you have saved, this way all you need do when you edit and save your html file you can just press F5 in your browser and it updates.

If you want it online and live for others, then its best to get yourself an FTP client. Try Fireftp or SmartFTP, they are both free and I would personally recommend either. Good luck!

03-05-2008, 10:01 PM
You don't upload files to a browser. As udjamaflip said, you can just click the file button and open a file (open file in FireFox) you created in notepad. This will allow you to see what it will look like (at least basic pages).

You can also use the browser to connect via FTP (instead of the HTTP you usually use on the web) to upload or download a file from some server (your ISP). Many ISPs will have a FTP program to make it look a little easier. Or there are a thousand of them all over the web).

03-06-2008, 04:45 AM
Also just to be sure, it needs to be saved as a .html document before you can open it in IE

03-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Instead of using NOtepad, you could try a WYSIWYG HTML editor such as Frontpage. This would speed up the process.

03-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Barney ...

Good you're learning HTML and using Notepad.
You'll learn more by hand-coding.

I think you are referring to uploading a web page onto the internet?
As opposed to uploading it in IE?

Files with the extension .html or .htm will open in the IE browser and
clicking "View", "Source" on the top menu of IE will open that HTML code
in Notepad. If the web page is "offline" on your PC, you can edit it.

To upload onto the internet, you need to use an FTP program and you
need to have a webhost (of course) ... someone to serve your files.

Len Whistler
03-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Also when using Notepad and saving it as a htm or html enclose the file name in quotation marks.

Save As / File Name / "index.htm" / Save

And stick with htm OR html, not both.

03-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Instead of using NOtepad, you could try a WYSIWYG HTML editor such as Frontpage. This would speed up the process.

No please don’t you ever do that! It may speed up the creation process but it’ll be a pain in the *** to maintain that site later on because Frontpage, as Internet Explorer, by the way, is a piece of crap and you can’t do anything good with it. So if you really wanna create websites stick with Notepad or use an HTML editor with code coloring as it makes reasing it easier. Don’t use/trust any design view mode of any WYSIWYG editor, always write your code by hand.

Also be aware that you should use a modern browser as Opera, Firefox, Safari, Konqueror, etc. as your primary browser(s) to test your pages. Don’t use IE as measure because it lets you slip through with coding errors which results in screwed up pages in all the other browsers that won’t let you slip trough but display the page as you have coded it. Use browsers that adhere to the HTML standards and fix issues for IE, not vice versa.

Another great free FTP program is Filezilla (http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client). It’s so fast if you set it to establish up to 10 connections at a time, and it’s damn easy to use.

Good luck.