View Full Version : Help! My Code is being stolen!

Rhiannon
01-22-2003, 06:43 PM
I have discovered that another company is stealing the code from my website, and using it as their own. Is there a way to prevent this from happening any further?:confused:

spydude006
01-22-2003, 07:07 PM
sue that company.
or inform any copyrighted company,and put some no right click scripts from dynamicdrive.com.

thats it...

nickbarresi
01-22-2003, 07:17 PM
Make sure you download "proof" and contact a lawyer immediately. If it's a big company, you can probably get a nice settlement depending on how thoroughly they copied you.

Also makes it easier if they're in your country, if it's an asian company, for example, there's not much you can do.

mouse
01-22-2003, 07:28 PM
Firstly I'd decide whether your code is actually being stolen or whether they're merely using the same code. Content is a different matter naturally...

cg9com
01-22-2003, 07:33 PM
Rhia can we see your site and the other site thats stealing content

Rhiannon
01-22-2003, 07:55 PM
The other site's content is different (we're in the travel industry...same country/province...different cities), but on some of their pages, the look (and some of the content) is exactly the same. We even belong to the same company, but each agency is invidually owned and operated (so the sites are independantly created). I don't want to sue the company, and we would of given up the code if they had asked, but I just want to prevent someone else from taking our code. The no right click feature was what I was originally thinking of, and this may throw them off for a while (I know they aren't coders, just copy and paste from their browser). But what about when someone who is a coder comes along and takes it? Is there something else to protect all of our hard work?

cg9com
01-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Rhiannon
Is there something else to protect all of our hard work?
no, nothing can protect markup, server side languages are the only code that can be hidden, because it works differently than plain client side/markup

Rhiannon
01-22-2003, 08:09 PM
Thanks anyways. :(

mouse
01-22-2003, 08:22 PM
Thanks anyways. :( Try phoning or writing. It's very possible they'll make an effort to make theirs look different if they know you're onto them.

Rhiannon
01-22-2003, 08:40 PM
One more thing...

With the right-click feature, you can still highlight text and go to "File, Copy"...is there any way to prevent this from being an option?

krycek
01-22-2003, 08:56 PM
You cannot stop code being stolen. period.

However, as some have mentioned, you can deter people... but start off being nice about it :)

But hey, if both your companies are part of the same company, then either it is not technically stealing (but they should still ask) or else you should go higher up in your group company for support, methinks :)

::] krycek [::

cg9com
01-22-2003, 11:16 PM
One more thing...

With the right-click feature, you can still highlight text and go to "File, Copy"...is there any way to prevent this from being an option?
doesnt matter, i could go to view source in the top menus
or with IE i can type in view-source:http://*.com bypassing any javascript on your site completely, and going straight to opening my text editor

oracleguy
01-23-2003, 01:20 AM
You should have read the first thread in the forum about this too.

http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4437

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum