View Full Version : Flood Control

doctordew
02-28-2008, 04:23 AM
Just out of curiosity what does flood control actually prevent? The only thing I see it doing is making me wait 15 seconds between searches. What abuse can somebody do by performing searches? I'm just curious because it would help make the forum more effective if we could search quicker, you'd see less repeat posts...

oracleguy
02-28-2008, 05:40 AM
Searches can be server intensive. So if you had multiple sessions doing searches as fast as it could be repeated it could be used to bring the server down. At least that is the reason I thought it was for.

Aceramic
02-28-2008, 04:07 PM
^ If that's not what it's for, somebody tell me, because that's what I always thought it was for, too. :)

doctordew
02-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Searches can be server intensive. So if you had multiple sessions doing searches as fast as it could be repeated it could be used to bring the server down. At least that is the reason I thought it was for.

Sounds about right. I didn't think about it exactly like that. I was thinking something along the lines of automated search robots abusing it, but wasn't sure the exact outcome of this. That makes sense, thanks for clearing that up.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum