View Full Version : Can't get absolute pos to work

02-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Hi guys

In an effort to have a div with a semi transparent background, I have made two divs - one with the transparency, and another to place over the top for my content.

I can't get my overlay div to position correctly - it seems that ie and FF start off placing the div from different positions.

The page is at www.popbeatblues.com.au/rw/artist_1.php

Also, making the overlay have an absolute position has chnaged the appearance of it's content divs too.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

02-26-2008, 07:04 AM
A correct url would be the first thing. I get a server not found on that url.

02-26-2008, 07:25 AM
He he - all fixed now Aerospace - www.popbeatblues.com.au/rw/artist_1.php

02-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Absolutely positioned elements don't need a float. You may have to set right/left and top/bottom values.
BTW, always place absolutely positioned elements inside a relatively positioned container.

02-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I tried them, but the DIV is still in a different postion in IE and FF. It takes it's postion from the DIV "middle" in FF, but after the DIV "menu" in IE.

Any other thoughts on how to fix it?

My aim is just to have a div with a semi-transparent background, but not transparent contents. I could do it in photoshop, but I want to master just using DIVs with transparent backgrounds, so as not to have to worry about aligning images.

02-26-2008, 05:50 PM
You've already been given the solution. You need to set the top and left values in the CSS for the element that is position:absolute. Also if you don't need to make something position:relative; then don't, it can cause bugs in IE6.

02-27-2008, 01:58 AM
Ahh - when in doubt, follow the instructions :thumbsup: I thought youi guys were being general - didn't realise there are Top and Left attributes you can change.

Thanks heaps.