View Full Version : If User Hasn't Logged In Don't Show Page

tomyknoker
02-25-2008, 11:33 PM
I am editing a site where the person has set it up so even though pages can't be viewed, there is no session checking... This is what is currently is there...

<?php
if($_SESSION['session_started'] != "TRUE")
session_start();
?>

I changed it to the following but it just keeps re-directing to the welcome.htm page...

<?php
if($_SESSION['user_logged'] != "TRUE")
header('Location: welcome.htm');
?>

Fumigator
02-25-2008, 11:44 PM
The $_SESSION global array won't exist unless you have session_start() at the top of the script.

tomyknoker
02-25-2008, 11:45 PM
So like so:

<?php
session_start();
?>

Andrew Johnson
02-25-2008, 11:48 PM
No, like this:

<?php
session_start();
?>

session_start(); should always be the first thing you do, unless of course one of your sessions in an object, then you need to define that object's class first - but I doubt you'll have to worry about that for quite some time

meth
02-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Try:

<?php
if(!isset($_SESSION)) session_start();
if(!$_SESSION['user_logged']) header('Location: welcome.htm');
?>

Of course this will only work providing that your logon script declares the var $_SESSION['user_logged'] with a boolean value properly. If the user has logged, $_SESSION['user_logged'] = TRUE; else $_SESSION['user_logged'] = FALSE.

Check your logon script...

Fumigator
02-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Try:

<?php
if(!isset($_SESSION)) session_start();
if(!$_SESSION['user_logged']) header('Location: welcome.htm');
?>

Of course this will only work providing that your logon script declares the var $_SESSION['user_logged'] with a boolean value properly. If the user has logged, $_SESSION['user_logged'] = TRUE; else $_SESSION['user_logged'] = FALSE.

Check your logon script...

That first "if" statement will never be "false", so you may as well just code session_start();.

meth
02-26-2008, 05:35 AM
<?php
$session_msg = (!isset($_SESSION)) ? 'session not set': 'session set';
echo $session_msg;
?>

output = session not set

<?php
session_start();
$session_msg = (!isset($_SESSION)) ? 'session not set': 'session set';
echo $session_msg;
?>

output = session set

session_start() always returns true. The test isset($_SESSION) can go either way.

Fumigator
02-26-2008, 07:08 AM
I took issue with checking isset($_SESSION) before the session_start() function was called (which seems to be what the OP is getting hung up on), that's all ;)

meth
02-26-2008, 07:16 AM
and if you "just use session_start()", you'll cause another error if it has already been called in an include; hence it's safer to call session_start() after the test for $_SESSION being set. Best to provide solutions that wont introduce new errors.

Fumigator
02-26-2008, 07:20 AM
I guess if your includes are unknown black boxes, that's valid. Personally I keep an eye on what I include... :rolleyes:

meth
02-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Personally I don't give a toss about your includes. I'd prefer not to make assumptions about the questioner's entire site based on a 3 line snippet.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum