View Full Version : installing php - which extensions?

DoubleV
01-21-2003, 11:18 PM
my host has its own set of instructions on how to install php.
1. Run the following command: % vinstall php4-dso
2. When you run the vinstall command, you will be given the option to select which extensions you want to use. In order to not waste memory on your Virtual Private Server, we recomend that you only select extensions you will actually be using. If you find you need to add or remove extensions at a later time, you can manually edit the php.ini file, or use the vinstall command to change the active extensions.

so the question is, which extensions should i install? which are rare and i am unlikely to use?
and if i'll need to modify php.ini file later, how will i do that?

bored
01-22-2003, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't install any of them unless you are scripting and need the functions availible.

Like it said, you can edit the php.ini, and it's really not that hard.

DoubleV
01-22-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by bored
I wouldn't install any of them unless you are scripting and need the functions availible.
i've never installed or used php before, so could you explain more?
if i do not install any, will i still be able to do basic php stuff? are they kind of like "add-ons" for very specific functionality that we might or might not need? or do they also contain the very basic stuff without which i would not be able to do anything? :confused:

mordred
01-22-2003, 09:00 PM
Generally, the extensions are for those rare and funky stuff. Those extensions which use has become so widespread have been put into the main php trunk and are available by default - like the MySQL, sessions or (in newer PHP distro's) GD image library.

If you just plan to learn the basics of PHP and want to see your scripts interact with a database, just don't worry about the extensions right at the moment. There's plenty of stuff to learn with the core PHP features. As bored said, your host seems cooperative enough that it should be possible for you to install extensions on an as-needed basis.

bored
01-22-2003, 09:32 PM
Exactly. Very well stated.

DoubleV
01-22-2003, 10:05 PM
Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum