View Full Version : what does forums moderators and administrators get

o0O0o.o0O0o
02-22-2008, 04:21 AM
hi guys ,

Just wanted to know what the moderators and forum administrators get.
I mean answer all the queries and i think spend whole day on that site.

Are they free , sometime i think are they doing any work rather than sitiing and answering the questions.

Are these guys getting any money?

I have seen in various forums with 25000 posts which sometimes means 50 posts per day. How can anyone spend all his time on one site?

oesxyl
02-22-2008, 05:55 AM
hi guys ,

Just wanted to know what the moderators and forum administrators get.
I mean answer all the queries and i think spend whole day on that site.

is not the moderators and forum administrators duty to answer, they do because they want, and of course know the answer, :)

Are they free , sometime i think are they doing any work rather than sitiing and answering the questions.

Are these guys getting any money?

yes they getting money, :)

I have seen in various forums with 25000 posts which sometimes means 50 posts per day. How can anyone spend all his time on one site?

yes, but the number of moderators depends of the number of posts per day. Is a lot of work to do, preventing spam and abuse for example.

best regards

_Aerospace_Eng_
02-22-2008, 06:23 AM
Moderators and admins of these forums don't get paid. Its all volunteering on their own free time. Yes they likely know their stuff but there are a lot of members that make up a forum.

rmedek
02-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Moderators get paid an industry average wage, with occasional perks and kickbacks. It's a bummer this year because there's a mandatory salary cap in place and so I don't think our vacation bonuses are going to be as nice as they were last year. But it does mean we get to stay in our lower tax bracket…I might consider doing some investing to raise my financial profile. :thumbsup:

Aceramic
02-22-2008, 04:55 PM
^ Always look on the bright side, eh? ;)

Now, when do I become a mod? lol

oracleguy
02-22-2008, 05:17 PM
As oesxyl said, staff members aren't duty bound to answer questions. (Not to say we don't like to when we can.) We are duty bound to handle spam, member issues, etcetera though.

o0O0o.o0O0o
02-22-2008, 05:46 PM
who pays the moderator , how many mods get paid.
Is there enough income comming from site to pay like even 2 -3 mods.
getting 2K $ per month from forums looks tough. But may be there are things i don't know

liorean
02-22-2008, 06:00 PM
getting 2K $ per month from forums looks tough. But may be there are things i don't knowModerators get paid ad natura, of course:)

Fumigator
02-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Rmedek I'm afraid your tongue-in-cheek was lost in translation :p

Spookster
02-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Moderators and Admis receive less of my wrath than members.

TheShaner
02-22-2008, 06:54 PM
getting 2K $ per month from forums looks tough. But may be there are things i don't know
Moderators here do not get paid. Don't let their sarcasm and humor get the best of you. They donate their time to clean up the forums and answer questions when they can, just as most other members here do.

Last I heard, George (WA) barely gets enough money from the advertisements for the cost of maintenance on this site and has to sometimes reach into his own pockets to pay for the cost.

As for other sites, I'm sure there are forums that pay Mods, but not many. The pay per post you hear about is generally done by forum admins to generate traffic on the site when a forum is first created. Once there is enough traffic, they stop paying out to these individuals they've "hired" to populate the forums with posts.

-Shane

WA
02-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Mods get my love and appreciation. :) For the ones where that ain't enough, I send Spooks over to do some "convincing". For some reason their altitudes quickly change after that.

Seriously though, mods are a volunteered position on CF- it isn't exactly feasible otherwise. Mods aren't obligated to do the things they do; like the many members that help answer questions daily, they do it because it gives them a warm fuzzy feeling inside that they never got from home.

o0O0o.o0O0o
02-22-2008, 11:38 PM
If thats Volunteer job then its really amazing how someone without getting any money
spend his all day on this website.

Aerospace has almost 13000 posts in four years which means 10 posts every day.
Is there any particular reason beside getting love and appreciation from WA which attaches to this forum e,g some childhood memories

A child looking at sweet candy from the window of a choclate shop. Wants to eat but no money . Then a person came --- bought him candy . Child didn't recognize him but only able to saw CF Moderator written on tag. And then that child decided that one day i will repay to CF :)

It must be a very difficult job at the start of forums to keep track of every thread and delete unrelated posts and that even without getting any money.

Inigoesdr
02-22-2008, 11:47 PM
10 posts doesn't take a "whole day".. you could make 10 posts in a half hour. I don't think Aerospace is a good example of the average CF user though; he spends a lot more time on these forums than most.

oesxyl
02-22-2008, 11:55 PM
If thats Volunteer job then its really amazing how someone without getting any money
spend his all day on this website.

Aerospace has almost 13000 posts in four years which means 10 posts every day.
Is there any particular reason beside getting love and appreciation from WA which attaches to this forum e,g some childhood memories

A child looking at sweet candy from the window of a choclate shop. Wants to eat but no money . Then a person came --- bought him candy . Child didn't recognize him but only able to saw CF Moderator written on tag. And then that child decided that one day i will repay to CF :)

It must be a very difficult job at the start of forums to keep track of every thread and delete unrelated posts and that even without getting any money.

I suppose you don't get any money for posting question about what other people do for free. Why? Social interest or introspection?

best regards

Alex Vincent
02-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Often, it's more of an "emeritus" position... I'm a lot less active than I used to be, and I kind of like that.

_Aerospace_Eng_
02-23-2008, 08:39 AM
I answer questions on the forum to learn. It helps me keep my coding skills "up to par" if you will. Practicing only makes me better. In all of my time here I've only actually started 15 posts and 5 of them weren't about coding problems.

jkd
02-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Other facebook, reddit, and codingforums, I don't think I actually need the WWW. So I keep coming back to prevent the universe from exploding.

Fumigator
02-23-2008, 03:57 PM
jkd you forgot playboy.com....

Believe it or not, o0O0o.o0O0o, if that is your real name, people are motivated by things other than money. Let's say, for example, in theory, that someone has a really boring day job at a local county government, doing boring mainframe cics/cobol development. Let's also say that this theoretical someone doesn't have a lot of motivation to work hard or fast or efficiently, because he's been told there's no way he's going to get a pay increase, even though he's paid below the job description's average for his location. Why not troll the CodingForums all day? :p

Plus, like Aero mentioned, I learn stuff.

o0O0o.o0O0o
02-26-2008, 01:26 AM
how to become a moderator . Any requirements

or any exams like Coding Forum Certification Exam :)

i also want to become the Moderator but i don't have much knowledge
i want to receive the love and appreciation of WA administrator :)

Fumigator
02-26-2008, 02:58 AM
You have to have more posts than Aero Eng. Get crackin! :p

p.s. You earn love and appreciation, it is not bestowed upon you by way of a title or position of responsibility.

p.p.s. I have the perfect way to make yourself feel appreciated-- go volunteer for a day at the local homeless shelter or other worthwhile charitable organization. Volunteering is an amazing way to give your life meaning. (I'm being serious)

Basscyst
02-26-2008, 03:05 AM
I do it because this is where I learned just about everything I know as far as my professional skillset goes. My salary has quadrupled since I first happened upon this site (yeah, I made pizza). So yes, through personal growth CF has paid me many times over.

liorean
02-26-2008, 03:07 AM
For being considered for moderatorship, a user must be a regular of course. Must be level headed and able to keep an eye on (or a toe in) discussions without heating up or turning to rudeness or outright flaming. Should have shown some knowledge of the topic of the forums [he|she]'s to moderate. Should have proven able to keep to the forums rules and guidelines. Should have displayed an ability to clearly, rationally and coherently address various issues.

At least, that's what I would go by. George will come by shortly and agree :)

Aceramic
02-26-2008, 04:43 AM
^ So confident that you're right....

Oh yeah, it's you. :D

Speaking of knowledge, I have basically learned everything I know about HTML, CSS, and everything that goes with it from reading these forums... As I imagine it will be when I start PHP or Javascript or whatever I decide on. :)

PS: Thank you, everyone that has contributed to my learning. ;)

oracleguy
02-26-2008, 05:15 AM
In addition to what liorean said, there has to be an open moderator position available. WA just brought a few new moderators on board a few weeks ago to fill some open positions. As it stands right now, I don't believe there are any open moderator positions. However when there are, WA puts out a post like such: http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=131355

Kor
02-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Reasons for doing this kind of unpaid moderation job are multiple and mixed.
- learning process never stops. Moderators keep themselves up-to-date in their domains, learn new languages or techniques, and discover new aspects by trying to solve others' technical problems. That will increase the moderators' skills, so that they will earn more money on their real jobs as well.
- sometimes, people which received help will later contact the moderator and make him a proposal for paid collaboration for a project.
- the others' gratitude and appreciation is a strong motivation within human nature
- when you work 8-10-12 hours a day in front of a computer, there are often dead moments which moderators try to fill them up somehow, in order to get rid of boredom :D
- making friends around the world

liorean
02-26-2008, 01:45 PM
As it stands right now, I don't believe there are any open moderator positions.Ruby on Rails, Other server side languages/issues, ColdFusion, Python lack moderators right now.

abduraooft
02-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Ruby on Rails, Other server side languages/issues, ColdFusion, Python lack moderators right now.
Hmm.. I just started to study them today morning ;)

oracleguy
02-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Ruby on Rails, Other server side languages/issues, ColdFusion, Python lack moderators right now.

I stand corrected.

Spookster
02-26-2008, 06:02 PM

They also lack posters. :D

liorean
02-26-2008, 06:29 PM
They also lack posters. :DThey're pretty new. It'll take some time for them to gain posters.

o0O0o.o0O0o
02-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Are the different forums like php , java script , python have different MODs or the MODs are of the CF website.

How to find out which person is MOD of which forum.

One thing more , what age group are you guys. If any one does'nt want to tell thats ok.
i just want to have the idea of the age group . I have seen MODs giving some very good advice like some senior person gives to the children of the class.:thumbsup:

liorean
02-26-2008, 11:22 PM
This page has a list of who moderates what: <uri:http://codingforums.com/showgroups.php>

If you look at the bottom of each forum's topic listing you'll see a list of moderators for that forum in particular, just above the search box. (Not to be confused with the quick search box above the topic listing...)

Spookster
02-26-2008, 11:46 PM
They're pretty new. It'll take some time for them to gain posters.

I don't know if I would consider 1 1/2 - 2 years old pretty new. They aren't nearly as widely used or popular as the more common technologies which is why they don't have very many posts which is also why we don't have dedicated mods for them. The super mods can handle those.

liorean
02-26-2008, 11:59 PM
I don't know if I would consider 1 1/2 - 2 years old pretty new.It took quite a while for the XML forum to get any activity to speak about, and it's still a pretty low activity forum, despite how hyped XML is. Also, we aren't particularly large in those communities so we're unlikely to be high in search results for them, which means slow growth.
The super mods can handle those.Yes we can. However, they could use some knowledgeable mods to produce stickies and watch the posts for inappropriate behaviour. I surely don't read through those forums unless I get a post report to deal with. (I've gotten two post reports the whole time since I became a super mod, so it's hardly something that happens often.)

matak
02-27-2008, 12:11 AM
they don't get, they give infractions to people who they don't like. without any proper public way to say.. "ok, i gave you infraction for this, couse that is like that.." i mean guys, i know you don't like me, but relax, i ain't gonna eat ya :(

o0O0o.o0O0o
02-27-2008, 12:19 AM
where on this forum is the information bout the infractions , points.
i don't know what are the points . i lost 17 points ;) but i don't know what are those points which i have lost:confused:

Are they going to deduct any money from my credit card:D

SideNote : who owns the domain name of CF and who started it . Is there any HISTORY thread of this forum.
.......Once upon a time . There was person named WA . .. . :D

matak
02-27-2008, 12:26 AM
there are no rules, just mods enforcing their rules. i peemd wa about this, and he was interested in dwelling about that situation, but me, and my person has no time to bother to it. and you mods please stop infracting me couse you here have NO ""BANNED users subforum.." so fof... :)

o0O0o.o0O0o
02-27-2008, 12:34 AM
there are no rules, just mods enforcing their rules. i peemd wa about this, and he was interested in dwelling about that situation, but me, and my person has no time to bother to it. and you mods please stop infracting me couse you here have NO ""BANNED users subforum.." so fof... :)

New Rule 1: Under Coding Forum Act 2008 , the person who deduct points from person named o0O0o.o0O0o , that person will charged with 50&#37; of his monthly salary and 25 % money will be transferred to WA :D

liorean
02-27-2008, 12:39 AM
they don't get, they give infractions to people who they don't like.It's not a question about liking or not. I wouldn't deal out infractions to people I dislike if they didn't do something that is against the rules or guidelines, and I don't avoid giving infractions to people I like if they break the rules or guidelines.

You posted two things that I considered breaking the rule of keeping posts appropriate and unobjectionable. I probably would have given you just a warning and removed the pinup if you hadn't posted that thread in the PHP forums too, but the sum of it, I decided to give you an infraction.
without any proper public way to say.. "ok, i gave you infraction for this, couse that is like that.." i mean guys, i know you don't like me, but relax, i ain't gonna eat ya :(Infractions are our way of saying: "You did something bad. It's been noted and we're keeping track. Don't do it again and you're fine." Infractions aren't public matter, in the same way that you don't punish a pupil in front of the class in school, you send them to the principal and they're probably given detention that they will serve after school.

matak
02-27-2008, 12:46 AM
right. i can't say when did i saw someone on these forums whyning about infractions. rofl, i guess that trap17 method is working everywhere around. but it's silly.. geez, these are coding forums and if i can't post first image on google image search for ###YEEE HAAAA### or whatever, then wtf?! i mean, do you ban everybody for WTF or RTFM -> do you know what does that mean?! if that's not worst from that image, then i don't know what is..

ok, let me explain: average kid will see about 100 WTF-s today, and about ummm. ONE of my images if they are accidentaly on codingforums.. but, HEY i get infraction for image, while everywhere else people DON'T GET infractions for WTF, RTFM or similar...

dude, please

oracleguy
02-27-2008, 01:05 AM
where on this forum is the information bout the infractions , points.
i don't know what are the points . i lost 17 points ;) but i don't know what are those points which i have lost:confused:

Are they going to deduct any money from my credit card:D

SideNote : who owns the domain name of CF and who started it . Is there any HISTORY thread of this forum.
.......Once upon a time . There was person named WA . .. . :D

Infraction points only matter if you rack up 20 or more points because once you hit 20, you can't post until some of the points expire and your active point count drops below 20. Most infractions expire after 30 days. No one but staffers can see which infractions you've received, it isn't public record.

You technically don't lose points but gain them, but they are bad points to gain. However they aren't like this super evil thing where if you get one we don't want to see you again. It is basically like liorean said, it is our way of letting you know you did something wrong in private and it keeps a record of it.

Infractions are given out based on the forum rules (http://www.codingforums.com/rules.htm) and posting guidelines (http://www.codingforums.com/postguide.htm).

If you get a warning, those don't count for any infraction points since they are just a warning.

o0O0o.o0O0o
02-27-2008, 02:55 AM
Who has the authority to make the person moderator. only WA or anyone else as well

one question . if i do something very good for CF will that person make me MOD or Advisor.
I bet if i tell him , he will be the happiest man in this world:D

liorean
02-27-2008, 03:26 AM
George is the only one that can make users moderators. (Since he's our only admin.)

As for becoming moderator: Show yourself to be a helpful and responsible user in some forum, and then George may consider you the next time he's looking for moderators for the forums you're active in. Most moderators have large numbers of posts and have displayed a considerable knowledge and helpfulness in their forums of interest before they are being considered.

Look at one of our newest moderators, Trinithis: He's got a pretty low number of posts for becoming a mod, I don't think I've seen anybody else becoming a mod with so low post count. But he's been thanked by a good number of users for a considerable part of his posts on these forums, he's been nominated for most helpful user by several users, among them by oesxyl (a highly regarded, helpful user) and twice by me (as a staff member, that is a vote of confidence). With that in mind it's not a surprising he got the position when he volunteered for it when George latest asked for new mods.

abduraooft
03-27-2008, 04:58 PM
I answer questions on the forum to learn. It helps me keep my coding skills "up to par" if you will. Practicing only makes me better. In all of my time here I've only actually started 15 posts and 5 of them weren't about coding problems.
Aero, your post poses one obvious question in my mind and let me ask. How did you learn/get all new stuffs without asking others? :)

_Aerospace_Eng_
03-27-2008, 09:21 PM
I've taught myself pretty much everything I know through online, tutorials, reading manauals, documentation, I've read over the w3 site some as well. I took a few classes but I was usually the one correcting the teacher.

Deacon Frost
03-28-2008, 05:03 AM
I've taught myself pretty much everything I know through online, tutorials, reading manauals, documentation, I've read over the w3 site some as well. I took a few classes but I was usually the one correcting the teacher.

Now that's worth bragging about. The teacher thing, not the w3 thing. The bravery to do such is often a feat many should learn :P.

Kor
03-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Aero, your post poses one obvious question in my mind and let me ask. How did you learn/get all new stuffs without asking others? :)
Oh, but he did. I did. Everybody here did. All of us were noobies some time ago, weren't we? In a way we are still noobies, as always there is something new to learn. :)

abduraooft
03-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Oh, but he did. I did. Everybody here did. All of us were noobies some time ago, weren't we? In a way we are still noobies, as always there is something new to learn. :)Yes, that's true, but the difference is I've asked many questions here and I still have many unanswered threads and I've to ask many yet :)(and you also own 100+ threads).

o0O0o.o0O0o
04-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Are moderators of this forum only belong to this forums or some of them are moderators of other forums as well

Do these moderators have 5000 + posts in other forums as well ?

Kor
04-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Are moderators of this forum only belong to this forums or some of them are moderators of other forums as well

Do these moderators have 5000 + posts in other forums as well ?
You bet :cool:

Aradon
04-04-2008, 03:16 PM
*looks at his current post count, looks at other forums post count*

Huh, none of my forum post counts are even near 5000..

Trinithis
04-06-2008, 02:45 AM
I basically do this for fun. Volunteering helps improve my coding and fills in boredom at times. As of late, I haven't been around all too much though because of school. 3 computer classes, 2 English classes, 1 math class. Fun! :p (Won't be doing that again . . . )

Deacon Frost
04-07-2008, 08:02 PM
I basically do this for fun. Volunteering helps improve my coding and fills in boredom at times. As of late, I haven't been around all too much though because of school. 3 computer classes, 2 English classes, 1 math class. Fun! :p (Won't be doing that again . . . )

That actually sounds like a fun line up. I would prefer English over math, and computers over english.

So that doesn't sound too bad XD!

TheShaner
04-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Oh, to go back to my university days... sigh... Best times of my life. I had two objectives - 1) Play hard 2) Work hard enough to get by as to maximize the first objective, lol

-Shane

Trinithis
04-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Deacon Frost, I think my schedule is fun. Hell, I don't even think any of my classes are hard, but the homework has eaten away a lot of my free time (due to quantity). If I had less classes, that free time would be spent on learning more about computers/programming/etc and writing.

maximize

Did you solve it by taking derivatives? :D

TheShaner
04-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Did you solve it by taking derivatives? :D
Haha, no, I solved it by deductive reasoning, but I'm confident that a derivation could solve it also :thumbsup: JKD is the master of mathematical proofs around here, so I'm sure he already has this problem laying around in his nightstand, lol.

-Shane

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum