View Full Version : ie6: three column layout question

faclimber
02-21-2008, 06:02 PM
i'm close to finishing my first re-code of an old table based site into clean, semantically correct xhtml and css. it's been a lot of work but i've learned a lot.

i have the site working in ie7, ff, safari and opera. i can't seem to get it to work in ie6. this is where my need for help is. the site is a simple, three column layout with header and footer. ie6, for some reason, displays the #center_content below all the others.

can someone please help?

centraloregonclimbing.com

_Aerospace_Eng_
02-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Move the center content above the right content and float each content column to the left. Be sure to clear your floats.

faclimber
02-21-2008, 06:26 PM
when you say "clear all floats" do you literally mean all three columns?

i'll try swapping #center_content and #right_content and let you know how it works.

thanks for the fast response.

faclimber
02-26-2008, 06:41 PM
i'm bringing this back to the top because i'm still having problem with one small issue in ie6. i've solved the above problem thanks to some help.

my newest problem, that only happens in ie6, is a small space between the header and the three columns that i can't get rid of. the header is an image and along with that i've given it an <h1> and a text-indent: -5000px.

is there a way to get rid of this space? if i use display: none it solves the problem but i've always thought you weren't supposed to do that.

thanks.

centraloregonclimbing.com

jcdevelopment
02-26-2008, 06:59 PM
try this

<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<style type="text/css">
#header {
height: 97px;
width: 800px;
margin: -5px;
}
</style>
<![endif]-->

let me know if that worked

faclimber
02-26-2008, 08:43 PM
i was unable to get it to work with:

<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<style type="text/css">
#header {
height: 97px;
width: 800px;
margin: -5px;
}
</style>
<![endif]-->

but i did get it to work by adding: _margin: -7px;

is one 'hack' better than the other? for the container div i had i had to use, width: 800px; and _width: 825px in order for it to work with ie6.

does your code need to be in it's own style sheet? when i tried it, i copy and pasted into my external style sheet and it didn't work right. all browsers were reading the code instead of just ie6.

thanks.

Apostropartheid
02-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Yes, why would it process SGML comments in CSS? It's supposed to go straight into your HTML, hence the style element.

jerry62704
02-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Take care with "_" hacks. If you are using FF and have Firebug installed, take a look at your CSS file - especially at the next statement after the hack. It might not be there.

What I did to get around this is to add a dummy CSS class after the hack:

a {_stuff and such}
.dummy {/* doesn't nothing but fix the ie hack */}
p {other stuff}

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum