View Full Version : CSS rounded corners-why need them??

djchub
02-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Hey i see this everywhere-css rounded corners technics...but why use them when we can jus create a round cornered box using Ms paint/photoshop...thought about it a bit and 1 reason i can thnk of is as you add more data the css rounded corners will expand along with it which cannot be done cause of the fixed width in the rounded boxes created through photoshop/paint...but is there any other reason/adv of using css based rounded corners??....and do u guys know of any site where the Js for creating rounded corners is thoroughly explained?

thnx

rangana
02-21-2008, 06:50 AM
I once saw it when giving it a google (http://www.html.it/articoli/nifty/index.html).

Personally, I don't use CSS to make round corners, we have the same technique,,,and that is to create it with a graphics editor :D

rmedek
02-21-2008, 09:53 AM
The big reason behind CSS-only rounded corners is that when using graphics a lot of extraneous HTML is needed to provide the adequate "hooks" to insert the appropriate images (at least, to get a container that expands with the content and on text resizing). For what it's worth, I've messed around with some of the CSS-only techniques and I'm not sure how bullet-proof they are—I go the nested <div> route with background images.

A great explanation of using Javascript to create rounded corners without adding markup can be found here: http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200505/transparent_custom_corners_and_borders/

Hope this helps…

Actinia
02-21-2008, 10:40 AM
This does not address the question as to why we should want to use rounded corners in the first place. They may look pretty, but they do not seem to be worth the effort involved, neither do they contribute to the usefulness or usability of the page. Perhaps if CSS3 includes them and browsers support them I may give it a go.

J

rmedek
02-21-2008, 10:49 AM
This does not address the question as to why we should want to use rounded corners in the first place. They may look pretty, but they do not seem to be worth the effort involved, neither do they contribute to the usefulness or usability of the page.

You are totally depressing me. The world is an ugly place, let's dress it up with a few rounded corners once in a while. :)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum