View Full Version : Test Your Geeky Knowledge

Deacon Frost
02-21-2008, 05:04 AM
Yeah, so I was redirected here randomly from some site...

http://www.justsayhi.com/bb/geek

It's quite humorus, guess I'm 61%.

_Aerospace_Eng_
02-21-2008, 05:52 AM
That site has already been brought up. It was for HTML elements though but its still the same site.
http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=129322
I'm 26%.

shyam
02-21-2008, 06:07 AM
mea 63%

ess
02-21-2008, 10:18 AM
just had a go....got 68% ;)

NancyJ
02-21-2008, 04:40 PM
79%. I don't read comics and this one stumped me: /(bb|[^b]{2})/ ?

Aradon
02-21-2008, 11:21 PM
79% if I answer truthfully and 90% if I go towards the non-truthful answers.

Also, to be or not to be, that is the question..

liorean
02-22-2008, 01:27 AM
79%. I don't read comics and this one stumped me: /(bb|[^b]{2})/ ?It's intended to be the regex rendition of "To be or not to be". It's not quite right though, written like that it is more "To be or to not-be". A more accurate regex is /(bb|(:!bb).*)/ using ECMAScript regex syntax

o0O0o.o0O0o
02-22-2008, 04:27 AM
NancyJ and Aradon can u please share your prize. I don't want any dispute:)

Aradon
02-22-2008, 02:48 PM
I don't think there is a prize by being geeky. Unless being geeky is the prize, in which case i suppose I'm a high C of a geek on a 10 point scale.

TheShaner
02-22-2008, 04:38 PM
I got 57% and surprised I got that high. A few of them caught me off-guard that they'd actually ask that. Like I was just introduced to the series Firefly about 6 months ago, haha.

That site has already been brought up. It was for HTML elements though but its still the same site.
http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=129322
I'm 26%.
You lied on some of those questions, esp. for someone who's on these forums helping coders more than anyone else here :p Just answering the three questions: winning an academic competition, what browser you use or what OS you use, and solving a complex computer problem in the shower should've brought you up to almost 30% by themselves. They did for me at least, haha.

-Shane

liorean
02-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Just answering the three questions: winning an academic competition, what browser you use or what OS you use, and solving a complex computer problem in the shower should've brought you up to almost 30% by themselves. They did for me at least, haha.The shower is the best place to think about knify computer problems!

rafiki
02-22-2008, 04:52 PM
43% for me,

_Aerospace_Eng_
02-22-2008, 05:16 PM
I got 57% and surprised I got that high. A few of them caught me off-guard that they'd actually ask that. Like I was just introduced to the series Firefly about 6 months ago, haha.

You lied on some of those questions, esp. for someone who's on these forums helping coders more than anyone else here :p Just answering the three questions: winning an academic competition, what browser you use or what OS you use, and solving a complex computer problem in the shower should've brought you up to almost 30% by themselves. They did for me at least, haha.

-Shane

I've never won an academic competition and I don't think about computer problems in the shower. I don't watch star track. I don't read comic books. I don't read any books for that matter.

TheShaner
02-22-2008, 06:43 PM
I've never won an academic competition and I don't think about computer problems in the shower. I don't watch star track. I don't read comic books. I don't read any books for that matter.
Your an oddity for an aerospace engineer / website coder, haha, and I mean that in the most respectful way :D I mean, not even a spelling bee or math contest when you were younger?!

The shower is the best place to think about knife computer problems!
*cue music from Psycho*

-Shane

_Aerospace_Eng_
02-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Your an oddity for an aerospace engineer / website coder, haha, and I mean that in the most respectful way :D I mean, not even a spelling bee or math contest when you were younger?!

-Shane
Nope not once. I'm actually a software engineer now, go figure. I didn't like the amount of math in AE.

Inigoesdr
02-23-2008, 01:12 PM
81% :thumbsup:

rafiki
02-23-2008, 04:55 PM
81% :thumbsup:

WOWZER!! i agree with Aero. dont read. dont like math/english although im quite good at both. but i guess thats youth :)

DnL
02-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Only 14% :thumbsup: .

tyanque
02-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Only 17% :) im sure it would be higher if there was more to do with coding in there :p

DELOCH
02-25-2008, 01:00 AM
27%... I guess im not much of a geek lol mostly cuz i don't watch startreky shows/hate firefox/don't care much for email n stuff

Inigoesdr
02-25-2008, 02:23 AM
hate firefox
This is slightly off-topic, but I'm curious as to why you hate Firefox. I don't hear that often.. in fact I don't think I've ever heard it.

Apostropartheid
02-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Here's another one, then:

I hate Firefox.

Well, fine, I don't HATE Firefox, I just dislike it a little.

Deacon Frost
02-26-2008, 04:23 AM
I think people hate FireFox because it's becoming very large now and sort of becoming mainstream.

I don't use it, I use IE, or Opera =/.

And the toilet is ALSO a good place to solve code. It's like pressure on your brain is released as you think and... do your duty.

If you've seen the movie "Pi" he talks about how the method for measuring volume was introduced...

"The king wanted him to turn all his lead into gold, and so Archimedes set out to study. He stayed up night and day, pouring over paper and pen, trying to figure out what the king had ordered him to figure out. His wife had become so frustrated with how he was studying so fervously, so she ordered him to take a bath. Archimedes did so, and as he climbed in the bath water, he noticed the level of water rising. He stared intently, his mind rushing. Suddenly he shot up, screamed 'Eureka', and ran all the way to the castle to tell the king of his discovery. Archimedes had discovered a way to measure a mass, thus volume was born. The moral of the story being, 'Listen to your wife'. You need a bath!"

Taking a bath can solve the greatest of issues!

Not exact word for word, probably a bit more detailed, but magnificient all the same ;).

Apostropartheid
02-26-2008, 04:18 PM
I personally dislike Firefox mainly because of its users--no, not all of them, I'm not THAT cynical, but the select ones. I mean, they're worse than Mac Zealots, the ones who refuse to acknowledge that not all of us earn enough to spend £200 extra on a system which has half as many processors and an inferior graphics card to a PC. It's exactly like it, except no one really notices. I like IE7 because of its more streamlined interface and prettier buttons. So? Why's that so wrong? It looks classier to me than Ffx. does, and I've seen no advantages to using it, not even security (and yes, I did use Firefox, back in the dark era when IE6 ruled supreme. shudder.) Spellchecker? How annoying 4 peapol hu tak liek dis, init blad. Themes? Not found a decent one. Download times? Never seen even a slight difference.

But what I find NASTY is when people put "Don't send in bug reports in IE. We won't fix them. Use Firefox." How dare they say that I'm valued less because I like to use a different browser! Do they stop to think about what they're saying? But the irony is that IE7 gets it right. It looks the same! Speaking from experience, of course. And it happens to be that a few of these, ha, 'sites' look terrible enough for me to wonder whether it'd be worth the effort.

Of course I know that not everyone's like this. But there are enough to give a bad impression.

Anyway, those're my thoughts.

Food for thought: Firefox only manages to pass the Acid2 test in its next full release.
So does IE.

Oh, and 20%!

liorean
02-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Food for thought: Firefox only manages to pass the Acid2 test in its next full release.
So does IE.No it certainly won't. Ie8 will NOT pass Acid2, because Acid2 does not opt in to the new rendering mode and thus will get the ie7 rendering. Firefox 3 on the other hand will, just like Safari, Konqueror and Opera before it.

Apostropartheid
02-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Would you rather opt-in to standards mode or be stuck with IE7-like rendering for ever? Because they can't make improvements when you have the broken legacy IEs. They tried that in IE7 and it didn't work. Anyway, it's just a HTTP header. You don't even have to modify your code. It's what you're effectively doing now, anyway. If Acid2 had a quirks-mode DTD, everything'd fail it. <!doctype html> is all you need =P

Firefox was alright from the beginning, and that's a new situation altogether.

But yes, IE8 won't actually pass Acid2, but I would count it as such.

liorean
02-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Would you rather opt-in to standards mode or be stuck with IE7-like rendering for ever? Because they can't make improvements when you have the broken legacy IEs. They tried that in IE7 and it didn't work. Anyway, it's just a HTTP header. You don't even have to modify your code. It's what you're effectively doing now, anyway. If Acid2 had a quirks-mode DTD, everything'd fail it. <!doctype html> is all you need =PYou have my views on this written down on WebGraphics: On X-UA-Compatible (http://web-graphics.com/2008/01/23/x-ua-compatible/). I'm just a little sad that it's needed in the first place. I'd be more comfortable with a Microsoft that decided that it's worth breaking the web now in order to avoid this kludge, or a Microsoft that made ie7 and ie8 able to run side by side instead, where ie8 and onwards only have the best standards mode Microsoft can provide for them, dropping the DOCTYPE sniffing and all. But I'm very aware of Microsoft's reasoning, and in general I agree with it because it's a pragmatic decision.
Firefox was alright from the beginning, and that's a new situation altogether.Indeed. The real problem Microsoft have in making ie more standards compliant isn't the browser, it's live web content. Moz was never subject to the CSS, BOM, DOM and JavaScript quirks that ie has, which means Microsoft's main problem is that content detects ie and gives it different styles and behaviour.
But yes, IE8 won't actually pass Acid2, but I would count it as such.Well, for new content you could consider it a passing implementation. For live content it will not be.

Inigoesdr
02-27-2008, 01:37 AM
I realize you were just stating your opinion, but I'd like to reply to some of your statements anyway.

I personally dislike Firefox mainly because of its users--no, not all of them, I'm not THAT cynical, but the select ones. I mean, they're worse than Mac Zealots, the ones who refuse to acknowledge that not all of us earn enough to spend 200 extra on a system which has half as many processors and an inferior graphics card to a PC. It's exactly like it, except no one really notices.
I understand what you mean, but that's still a silly reason to discount a product.

I like IE7 because of its more streamlined interface and prettier buttons. So? Why's that so wrong? It looks classier to me than Ffx. does, and I've seen no advantages to using it, not even security (and yes, I did use Firefox, back in the dark era when IE6 ruled supreme. shudder.)
The main "security" feature that I hear most people talk about is the lack of ActiveX, which has been plagued with security holes since it was introduced. Security, and pretty interface aside, Firefox's plugins are invaluable to me.

Spellchecker? How annoying 4 peapol hu tak liek dis, init blad.
Well, 1) spelling has nothing to do with what browser you use. Who is to say that the user uses spell check at all. 2) Firefox comes with a spell checker for textareas.

Download times? Never seen even a slight difference.
Someone told you that you could download faster with FF than IE?

But what I find NASTY is when people put "Don't send in bug reports in IE. We won't fix them. Use Firefox." How dare they say that I'm valued less because I like to use a different browser! Do they stop to think about what they're saying?
The frustration they have is having to code something that should work in all browsers only to have it not work in IE. On the other hand you have the option of not using their site/service/product. :thumbsup:

Aradon
02-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Everyone here debating the two qualities (especially the pro-firefox people) need to increase their geeky knowledge percentage 5&#37;

croatiankid
02-27-2008, 08:38 PM
32&#37;.

Opera 4 lyfe

Deacon Frost
02-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Lol, I think browser geekiness would fall more to the nerdy side :P.

Yes, Opera does rule... I stick with IE cause it's easiest, but when I want to have fun on the net i user Opera.

Roelf
02-29-2008, 01:21 PM
You are 64% Geek!

When i really gave the right answers. It is easy enough to fake these kind of tests giving the geek-desired answers

liorean
02-29-2008, 03:38 PM
You know, I didn't know how much my life sucked until I did that test... 85&#37;
Though with that, I did guess on a couple of them (the dragon in the Hobbit, the ship in Firefly) and guessed correctly...

Aradon
02-29-2008, 07:44 PM
You GUESSED on the ship in firefly?!

I can't be friends with you anymore.

liorean
02-29-2008, 10:36 PM
You GUESSED on the ship in firefly?!I've never seen an episode of firefly, nor have I seen firefly in any program listing here. I haven't even seen any YouTube clips of it. Sorry :(

gsnedders
03-01-2008, 04:18 PM
It's intended to be the regex rendition of "To be or not to be". It's not quite right though, written like that it is more "To be or to not-be". A more accurate regex is /(bb|(:!bb).*)/ using ECMAScript regex syntax

Ah. That makes more sense. And now I get the joke about the two bs. Oh dear.

You know, I didn't know how much my life sucked until I did that test... 85%
Though with that, I did guess on a couple of them (the dragon in the Hobbit, the ship in Firefly) and guessed correctly...

That only just reassures me. 59%.

binaryWeapon
03-05-2008, 03:51 AM
47%

I'm adding this random stuff because just my percentage was too short a message. Happy now?

Karen S. Garvin
03-28-2008, 01:16 PM
I got a 78%. I guessed at Firefly because I haven't seen it (yet).

Actually, I lied on one question. I haven't come up with coding answers in the shower. Instead, I've woken up in the middle of the night with the answer. Since they didn't ask about that, I figured it was good enough. Actually, it should be worth more! :thumbsup:

effpeetee
03-30-2008, 02:43 PM
I clocked in at 25% - Not at all geeky.

Frank

Inigoesdr
03-31-2008, 01:27 AM
That seems to be at odds with your Tux-ish avatar. :p

Trinithis
03-31-2008, 11:29 PM
36&#37; for me. IMO, not a very good geek test. (Not that I consider myself a geek.)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum