View Full Version : Can DNS point to different base files?

BoldUlysses
02-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Is this even possible at all? I have one ~2GB account with my Web hosting service, and three domains registered with it. Entering any of the three domain names in the address bar of a browser will direct you to the same index.html file in the base directory of my webspace.

Is there any way to get the domain names to point to different files within the same base directory? Ideally I'd like to be able to make three entirely separate Web sites, all using the same space, without having to purchase additional accounts. Make sense?

Thanks again.

oesxyl
02-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Is this even possible at all? I have one ~2GB account with my Web hosting service, and three domains registered with it. Entering any of the three domain names in the address bar of a browser will direct you to the same index.html file in the base directory of my webspace.

Is there any way to get the domain names to point to different files within the same base directory? Ideally I'd like to be able to make three entirely separate Web sites, all using the same space, without having to purchase additional accounts. Make sense?

Thanks again.

you can use redirection based on user request. In my opinion a better option is to buy aditional account. Using redirection can cost you more than you can save.

best regards

oracleguy
02-19-2008, 10:33 PM
In theory you could do some trickery with software using a server side language that would look at the domain requested and redirect to you to a different set of files.

However the ideal solution is to see if your host will allow you to have more than one virtual server so you can have one for each domain. They might not do that for no additional charge though.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum