View Full Version : what layout is more faster to the browser to parse ?

umen242
02-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Hello all
from the html point of view what is more faster to the html engine to parse
GUI layout that is based on tables or one that is based on div's ?
thanks for the help

Len Whistler
02-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Hello all
from the html point of view what is more faster to the html engine to parse
GUI layout that is based on tables or one that is based on div's ?
thanks for the help

I have always thought it is tables that takes longer, and that's why the move to div's.

GO ILLINI
02-16-2008, 10:53 PM
divs/css will be faster.
Because:
-if you use an external css file it only needs to be loaded once
-less code is involved with divs.
-The browser makes less assumptions with divs
divs are not only faster, but will render correctly in more browsers then tables. Note that the page download time is what people will notice. Browsers will make very little difference rendering tables vs divs. There are also many different advantages to using divs.

In my mind: Divs are to align and style blocks on a page. Tables are to show data that should be shown in a table(price list, user list,...)

liorean
02-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Tables rendering requires dynamic resizing of all rendering boxes depending on the size of the content in each individual box, unless you make sure the tables use fixed layout. That means tables layout will in general be slower than your alternatives. A fixed table layout would probably have about equal speed to a block layout.

I think there's a considerable difference in performance for table layouts in the browsers - I recall there being a few table nestings that make Gecko stall, with no performance problem seen in Trident, and the other way around.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum