View Full Version : draggable box woes

Antoniohawk
01-20-2003, 02:04 AM
Go to http://www.angelfire.com/art2/pssite/test.html. See my box? Well i want it to be able to be draggable, but i can drag anywhere on the page and it moves. I only want it to move when i am clicking on it. When i made the <div> exactly the same size as the box, when i tried to drag it, it tried to drag the images that its made of. Any suggestions would be great.

Vladdy
01-20-2003, 02:42 AM
That's some ugly, IE only drag code, that will fail when the page is scrolled.
Suggestion: start from scratch.

Antoniohawk
01-23-2003, 02:34 AM
yeh ur right, if i figure it out, then i will know how to work with it.

Vladdy
01-23-2003, 03:34 AM
Something I've been playing with, that you may find helpfull:
http://www.vladdy.net/wca/wintest.html

brothercake
01-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Vladdy
Something I've been playing with, that you may find helpfull:
http://www.vladdy.net/wca/wintest.html

Very cool ... but you know you could go further with that ... draggable elements which also flow with the page - not absolutely positioned at all ... ;)

Vladdy
01-23-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by brothercake
Very cool ... but you know you could go further with that ... draggable elements which also flow with the page - not absolutely positioned at all ... ;)

As I said this is work in progress. I'm not sure, though, that I would take it the way you suggested i.e. going away with absolute positioning. In the majority of cases (the way I see it) dragging an element means taking it out of normal flow, which implies absolute positioning.

Antoniohawk
01-24-2003, 03:02 AM
thats pretty kewl man, ill check with that when i start working on my box again.

brothercake
01-24-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Vladdy
In the majority of cases (the way I see it) dragging an element means taking it out of normal flow, which implies absolute positioning.

Yes it does .. but here's what you can do:

1 - draw the inital elements as normal HTML; the elements flow as normal, and no resize/reloading is necessary

2 - when you click on the active part of the box, the original (HTML) box is hidden, and you createElement an entirely new, absolutely-positioned element, which is positioned in the same place (using a recursive offsetWidth/offsetHeight finding function) and you write into it the same innerHTML ... the users never know it isn't the same DIV

3 - when you let go of it, the element is destroyed, and you simply re-show and the re-arrange the node order of the original element :D

Vladdy
01-24-2003, 05:49 PM
I can do a lot of things, first I gotta figure out what to do them for :D :D
Seriously, if there is a project where such approach can be useful I would do it, but I have not come across one yet...
What I'm conceptualizing now is bringing the 3rd dimension to the commonly used "2d" layout we inherited from <TABLE> age and this "desktop" approach is one of them.

your step 2: Actually I would not have to recreate the element, just remove it from the original parent and attach to the document.body changing position to absolute...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum