View Full Version : Logging an IP address on exit?

Esona
01-18-2003, 11:29 PM
Hey,

I'm using a global.asa file as a website statistic program, but I've run into a small problem
Session OnStart takes the user's IP and puts it into an application. but when the user leaves their IP is still in that application. I tried Session OnEnd take IP out, but it can't detect the IP as the user is no longer on the page. Any suggestions?
Thanks
-Ben

Mhtml
01-19-2003, 01:52 PM
Well, you can't accurately do that. If someone just closes their browser then session_onEnd will not work.

What are you trying to do? Are you using this so that the person is only counted once per session? If so just use a session variable.

Esona
01-19-2003, 09:14 PM
I'm making a script where I can watch who is on my website. you know the basic "Application("WhoOn")" script? I'm adding to that. The info I'm taking is what page the person currently is on, what their IP address is and when they came on. I've got the logging part down, but now that info needs to be deleted when the person logs off my website.

Use this forum for an example, it displays who is currently viewing this thread.. thats sorta what I'm doing. But I can't figure out how to.. well, refresh that info, make it up to the minute...

Morgoth
01-20-2003, 12:27 AM
Here's a script I made due to the fact if the browser is closed, the OnSession_End thingy wont be activated.

This is to show who is logged in.

http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10766

Maybe this will help you.

raf
01-20-2003, 09:54 AM
maybe this is usefull (if you don't want to use cookies for instance)
Info from helpfunction
---------------------

IsClientConnected
The IsClientConnected property is a read-only property that indicates if the client has disconnected from the server since the last Response.Write.

Syntax
Response.IsClientConnected ( )

Remarks
This property allows you greater control over circumstances where the client may have disconnected from the server. For example, if a long period of time has elapsed between when a client request was made and when the server responded, it may be beneficial to make sure the client is still connected before continuing to process the script.

Example
<%
'check to see if the client is connected
If Not Response.IsClientConnected Then
'get the sessionid to send to the shutdown function
Shutdownid = Session.SessionID
'perform shutdown processing
Shutdown(Shutdownid)
End If
%>

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum