View Full Version : inconsistent presentation between two PC both running XP&FF

bazz
01-22-2008, 09:55 PM
I am confused.

both my pc's run xp home SP2 and the latest FireFox. Why then would my webpage look different on both machines specifically, the text size, font and color. I know its possible that one hasn;lt got the font installed (though I don't know why), but why would the text be so much different in size? quite large readable versus very small.

here's the css.

#meal_menu_div {
font-family : "Bradley Hand ITC", Arial, Helvetica, san-serif;
/*margin: 20px 190px 0 190px;*/
margin : 0 auto;
text-align: center;
line-height: 20px;
padding: 0;
overflow: visible;
border-top: 0;
}

#meal_menu_div a:link, #meal_menu_div a:visited, #meal_menu_div a:hover, #meal_menu_div a:active {
color: inherit;
}

#meal_menu_div table {
width: 60%;
margin: 0 auto;
padding:0;
border : 0;

}

#meal_menu_div table td.title {
height : 30px;

}

#meal_menu_div table td.menuHeader h4 {
width: 80%;
background-color: inherit;
margin : 20px auto 5px auto;
text-align : center;
font-weight: bold;
text-decoration : none;
font-size : 1.1em;
}

#meal_menu_div table td.title h6{
margin : 5px auto 0 auto;
text-align : center;
}

td.title a:link, td.title a:visited, td.title a:hover, td.title a:active {
padding: 0 ;
font-family: Georgia, arial, verdana, sans serif;
color : #330000;
}

td.price {
margin : 5px auto 0 auto;
width: 12%;
}

#meal_menu_div table td.body{
/*float : center;*/
display: block;
/*width: 80%;*/
margin: 0;
}
#meal_menu_div table td.spacer {
width : 50px;
}

and here's the html

<div id="meal_menu_div">
<table colspan="3">

<tr><td class="title"><h6>Roast Duck Breast (C) </h6></td><td class="spacer"></td><td class="price">16.95</td></tr>

<tr><td class="body">Pan Seared Duck Breast <u>w</u> Swede Puree Fondant Potato, Char-Grilled Asparagus <u>w</u> Rosemary &amp; Cranberry Jus.
<br /></td></tr>

<tr><td class="title"><h6>Veal Saltinbura </h6></td><td class="spacer"></td><td class="price">16.95</td></tr>
<tr><td class="body">Breaded Veal Escalope, Parma Ham & Gratinated Pecorino Cheese <u>w</u> Char-Grilled Potatoes, Sage &amp; Shallot Cream Sauce.

<br /></td></tr>

<tr><td class="title"><h6>Beef Fillet </h6></td><td class="spacer"></td><td class="price">22.95</td></tr>
<tr><td class="body">Fillet of Beef on a Bacon , Tomato & Goat's Cheese Rosti, Truffle Fine Beans finished <u>w</u> a Burgundy Butter
<br /></td></tr>

<tr><td class="title"><h6>Steaks, <u>w</u> Choice of Sauce and 1 Side Order. </h6></td><td class="spacer"></td><td class="price"></td></tr>

<tr><td class="body">Fillet 17.95,
<br />Sirloin 17.95,
<br />Rib Eye 19.95
<br />
<br />All Steaks come with Crispy Onions and Baked Tomato<br /></td></tr>

<tr><td class="title"><h6> </h6></td><td class="spacer"></td><td class="price"></td></tr>
<tr><td class="body">Cooking is like an art and requires Time and Patience.
<br />Please note that all dishes are cooked to order using only fresh ingredients.
<br />Some dishes may contain traces of nuts.
<br />(C) = Suitable for Coeliac
<br />(V) = Suitable for Vegetarian
<br />(VV) = Suitable for Vegan<br /></td></tr>
</table>

</div>

Any tips would be most welcome.

bazz

bazz
01-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Thank you Aero for your reply.

OK in checking the Tools->options, both are set to Times New Roman 16. IN following your instructions Aero, by using View-> text size, both are set to normal.

bazz

where di your reply go :confused:

Apostropartheid
01-22-2008, 11:36 PM
where did your reply goYeah, I was wondering...bazz, you SURE you're not going mad?

bazz
01-23-2008, 12:23 AM
lol. I actually checked my email inbox to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

bazz

rmedek
01-23-2008, 01:33 AM
Is one PC rendering Bradley and the other rendering in Arial (because it doesn't have the font installed)? Maybe Bradley has a much larger x-height than Arial, so the same "em" size renders one much larger than the other. What about trying to normalize things as well, by declaring a font-size to your body tag?

bazz
01-23-2008, 05:23 AM
Hmm,

Thanks for your reply.

I'll check the sizes. The main reason I am baffled is that both use the same version of windows XP and the same version of FF. I don't understand therefore, why one would have a font installed and the other wouldn't.

(Does the OS determine the installed font or the browser?)

I know that other peoples' set-ups may be different from mine but, I would have hoped that at least two 'consistent' set-ups' would have worked similarly. Surprisingly, I have IE6 and IE7 as well as FF working consistently in one pc but, only FF on another machine working differently.

I could show you the url but it is the live site for the business concerned.

bazz

Apostropartheid
01-23-2008, 05:41 PM
The OS does come with a lot of fonts. Some are picked up by programs (especially by word processors and design tools.) For example, MSOffice 2007 comes with some rather nice typefaces like Calibri and Cambria. Vista comes with Segeo UI. If you really want to know, find out where the programmes installed differ.

bazz
01-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Interesting change today.

Having done an avg virus scan last thing yesterday, before switching off, the font displaying was incorrect.

Today however, when I booted up, the correct font displayed.

bazz

harbingerOTV
01-24-2008, 12:18 AM
weird.

I had a similar but completely not issue about a year ago. i downloaded Opera at work and it would just load random fonts no matter what defaults I had chosen (like instead of Tahoma it would be rockwell or Porcelain).

I never fixed the issue so uninstalled.

good it's fixed (and you're clean ;) )

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum