View Full Version : Sun To Acquire MySQL

StupidRalph
01-20-2008, 04:01 PM
I know you may have seen the Microsoft acquires Firefox thread (which was pretty fun) but this is on the up and up. Sun is acquiring MySQL.

http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/sun-to-acquire-mysql.html

oesxyl
01-21-2008, 02:16 PM
I know you may have seen the Microsoft acquires Firefox thread (which was pretty fun) but this is on the up and up. Sun is acquiring MySQL.

http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/sun-to-acquire-mysql.html

well, bad enough, that means I must find another rdb instead of mysql.

best regards

ed_krassenstein
01-29-2008, 06:35 PM
I personally don't see this as a bad move. Why would you find another rdb if Sun acquired MySQL? There is no reason to.

Eddie Krassenstein

oesxyl
01-29-2008, 07:11 PM
I personally don't see this as a bad move. Why would you find another rdb if Sun acquired MySQL? There is no reason to.

Eddie Krassenstein
Let's say is not a decision, is a feeling, and I don't want to talk about reason, we have better things to do with our lifes then making unterminable lists and argue who is right, :)

best regards

liorean
01-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Ed: Exactly my thought. What about MySQL being Sun owned changes the situation in any way?

oesxyl
01-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Ed: Exactly my thought. What about MySQL being Sun owned changes the situation in any way?

- medium company?? vs. huge company management [1]
- passion vs. cost effective [2]
- simple and robust vs. popular and "easy to use" [3]
- make java part of our life, :)
* I allready imagine improved development cycle using java tech. [4]
* why not a better jmsql native engine with a short learning curve [5]
* what about future, jsparql, sparql is allready a sql camel [6]
- ms access vs mysql, now each have a niche, but sun is ms competitor, colateral damage [7]

I'm afraid more of [3], [4] and [6] as far I have no alternative. Last apply more to [4] and [6] for example now I could use odbc with mysql if I want, but I have also the option to not use it.

[3] and [5] is part of my nightmair, taken somebody of the street and make it a big programmer in less then 4 hours, :)
Knowledge? ... what? ...learning? I allready do that few minutes ago.

[1], [2] and [7] could affect me.

As I say, could be more or less feeling, :)

best regards

Aradon
01-30-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm not exactly getting your point, but I don't see anything wrong with Sun taking over MySQL. MySQL, in my opinion, lags behind Oracle so much that it doesn't even seem worth it to use MySQL in a corporate setting. So why not let a corporation such as Sun take it over and actually make it better?

As the article reads, Sun is the largest corporate contributor to open source projects. I don't see anything wrong with this.

Just my 2 cents.

o0O0o.o0O0o
02-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Just my 2 cents.

my 1 cent as well

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum