View Full Version : CSS designer needs PHP help (form-to-DB)

DrewDizzle
01-16-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm working on a project that requires php syntax, which I won't even pretend to know. Basically, I need a form with various required information (name, address, email, check here to agree to terms, etc.) to be filled out online and the results stored as comma-delineated in a .txt file.

Then I need a confirmation email sent to the user.

The form and confirmation email is probably the easiest part of this assign (a cursory Google search reveals several options) but I'm not sure where to start on the PHP-to-.txt. Would anyone be kind enough to give me a decent starting spot to take a crash course in PHP?

srule_
01-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Do you know what database you will be using (ex: MySQL)?

DrewDizzle
01-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Do you know what database you will be using (ex: MySQL)?

Frankly, I haven't even gotten that far. I assume MySQL would be the easiest. Like I said, my exposure is more on the design side so I'm all ears if you have any suggestions.

DrewDizzle
01-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Actually, scratch that. I'm not using a DB - I jsut want PHP to insert the data into a comma-delineated format in a .txt file? That way it can be import into Access, Excel, et al.

StupidRalph
01-16-2008, 11:12 PM
You might note that most (if not all) MySQL database web clients have the ability to export .csv files.

DrewDizzle
01-17-2008, 12:11 AM
You might note that most (if not all) MySQL database web clients have the ability to export .csv files.

Well, what's the easiest to set up for a beginner like myself? I just want a few data fields exported, using a comma-delineating format, to a .txt file. I don't need a .txt file for each time a visitor submits data; they can augment the existing file.

Time/date stamps would be a nice-to-have as well. Thoughts?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum