View Full Version : Copying someone elses code ethical, nonethical, legal...

yangmanrui
01-16-2008, 02:23 AM
How ethical or non-ethical is to look at someone's code and use it? How much of someone's code can you legally use? 30%, 49%, 50%, 100%?

man rui

Excavator
01-16-2008, 02:47 AM
How ethical or non-ethical is to look at someone's code and use it? How much of someone's code can you legally use? 30%, 49%, 50%, 100%?

man rui

I would at least ask, it's nice to get a little recognition for it at least.. If you see any of my stuff that you like, help yourself.

rmedek
01-16-2008, 04:36 AM
For the most part, unless you are talking about using a technique (say, * { margin: 0; padding: 0} or .hiddenText { text-indent: -9999px; overflow: hidden; }), the blatant copying and pasting of code is immoral and illegal. Just not easily prosecuted. ;)

I'd say the rule of thumb should be, if you're not sure about it, ask. If they say no, don't.

yangmanrui
01-16-2008, 02:56 PM
How about color combination?

Man Rui

jcdevelopment
01-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Color combination isnt really unethical because its kind of like music, if you use the same notes as someone else and change them up than its not unethical. I would be pleased if someone had liked my color scheme so much they would want to use it. I use alot of code from dhtmlgoodies (http://www.dhtmlgoodies.com) but i always give them credit in the source code. I think that there is nothing you can do about any one taking or using code, just embrase it and take it as a compliment!!

myownfreeweb.co
01-25-2008, 12:50 AM
I'll throw in my own two cents here since I have had sites stolen before: Never steal, but it's ok to use someone else's work for inspiration. Inspire yourself, but create your own original work. I have had people steal my site word for word, and that sucks!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum