View Full Version : Is Linux not the Designer's Platform?

twodayslate
01-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Right now I am using Ubuntu Linux 7.10 (Gutsy) and I am very sad about the designers platform. It is darn near impossible to test your work in all browsers. You can get IE6 (http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page) and the IE7 beta but it is the slowest thing ever and might have made me reinstall Gutsy twice. Is there an easy way to test your work without installing a windows product? I am very happy with Linux. :D

The programs are great though. Bluefish is one of the best free editors out there. I use gFTP with Geany/Text editor due to a very slow server. I use Geany because it can handle so many more files. I am in a programming class so I need to be able to write in Java and C++ along with my HTML/CSS.

_Aerospace_Eng_
01-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Have you looked into WINE? I've never used it but I've heard good things about it.

twodayslate
01-14-2008, 01:15 AM
That is what IEs4Linux uses. Apparently IE7 has a OS checker that looks for official Windows products so it is very hard to get that to work.

felgall
01-14-2008, 01:19 AM
The OS checker in IE7 was removed some months back on the browser's first birthday.

twodayslate
01-14-2008, 02:17 AM
So why isn't it on linux?

felgall
01-14-2008, 03:44 AM
Internet Explorer only has a Windows version and doesn't run on any other operating system at all (there was a Mac version but that died 5 years ago) - the OS checker that was in IE7 for the first 12 months checked that the copy of Windows was not a pirated copy. It wasn't checking what version of windows you were running, just whether it was considered to be an authorised copy.

twodayslate
01-14-2008, 04:17 AM
So people should be able to get it on Linux now?

Do you use linux?

oesxyl
01-14-2008, 04:24 AM
Right now I am using Ubuntu Linux 7.10 (Gutsy) and I am very sad about the designers platform. It is darn near impossible to test your work in all browsers. You can get IE6 (http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page) and the IE7 beta but it is the slowest thing ever and might have made me reinstall Gutsy twice. Is there an easy way to test your work without installing a windows product? I am very happy with Linux. :D

The programs are great though. Bluefish is one of the best free editors out there. I use gFTP with Geany/Text editor due to a very slow server. I use Geany because it can handle so many more files. I am in a programming class so I need to be able to write in Java and C++ along with my HTML/CSS.

ie4linux + wine is slow and has problem, see the todo and bugs pages:

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

another solution could be xen, but I thing is slower them wine and I don't thing is better, :).

I work 98% of time on linux for 7 years and I'm happy. :)
- I do all the work on linux, main browser ffox, I have care all the time to have every thing valid, html and css and to avoid problem I allready know that could be on ie/opera.
- when I'm finish I check with all browser I have, gecko and text based on linux and fix what's wrong.
- I spend some time doing the same thing on windows/mac.
- i watch all the time what browsers use visitors and what problems they have, statistics cpanel, server log, in my case.

IMO if your visitors use ie/windows you must check with ie/windows, :)

PS: AFAIK any linux solution you use, wine or xen, you must have a ms license, so why don't use windows for final test?.

best regards

oracleguy
01-14-2008, 04:57 AM
Look into using VirtualBox, it is a open source virtual machine software. You can then run a VM machine with Windows on it (you'll obviously then need a copy of Windows) so you can test IE. And it has a very nice feature called seamless mode that is pretty cool. Makes it much easier to work on the host machine and the guest machine at the same time.

That is how I still get to use Visio and Visual Studio since there isn't any real way to run them under Linux. Visio sort of works if you use the right version of WINE but it is really slow.

Vege
01-14-2008, 09:28 AM
I use kubuntu in work and sometimes have to check layouts in MSIE which means a vmware virtual machine. Luckily i dont have to do it that often :)

twodayslate
01-14-2008, 12:19 PM
So basically I still need to run Windows.

oesxyl
01-14-2008, 12:44 PM
So basically I still need to run Windows.

yes, :)

I know is offtopic but I post because I see now that you like bluefish and you use geany as editor.
Many people who like bluefish, like scite too, try it maybe you like it, :-)

best regards

Apostropartheid
01-14-2008, 05:46 PM
MS is giving away free (virtual) copies of WinXP with IE6 preinstalled (these expire). If you install IE7 and use MultipleIEs, you should be fine. I'm not sure whether the actual disc can be mounted on anything but MS's software, though--you'll have to check it out.

Tbh I would own a copy of Windows anyway, just for convinence. I've oft considered a copy of Linux but it's just too much hassle.

twodayslate
01-15-2008, 03:12 AM
I will definitely check out the free MS virtual machines. Thanks.

scite didn't look to great. they only had one screenshot but will look at it more. thanks

Sman5109
01-15-2008, 04:46 AM
Why worry about what your site looks like in IE, if it works in firefox and the code is valid then one day it will look the same in IE.

Apostropartheid
01-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Why worry about what your site looks like in IE, if it works in firefox and the code is valid then one day it will look the same in IE.

But not now. It doesn't really matter about the future: it'll come to us eventually. Now is important--a lot more.

twodayslate
01-16-2008, 01:16 AM
Agreed. At least code for IE7. You actually do not have the change that much code for it.

Do you guys still code for IE6? Hasn't it been a year since IE7 has been out. Schools should get it by the summer.

oracleguy
01-16-2008, 02:36 AM
Do you guys still code for IE6? Hasn't it been a year since IE7 has been out. Schools should get it by the summer.

I'd imagine there is still a large percentage of IE users using version 6. Though that is just a guess, I'd be interesting to see some numbers on it.

twodayslate
01-16-2008, 03:23 AM
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
33%! Who in their right mind would use IE6 with FF and IE7 out there?

yangmanrui
01-16-2008, 04:01 PM
1) I would go to www.ubuntuforums.org (http://www.ubuntuforums.org)
2) Have you tried to install Xchat "sudo apt-get install xchat" there are many chat rooms and people are very helpful.
3) Have you heard of Xen - it is a virtual Machine you can install in Ubuntu and you could test it from there.

Man Rui

Apostropartheid
01-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Well, people who don't care enough, tbh. Why bother upgrading when you don't use the internet that much?

twodayslate
01-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Then they wouldn't be going to my site then. >_<

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum