View Full Version : google search after re-coding

01-13-2008, 05:48 PM
forgive me if there is an obvious answer or if this is the wrong place to post.

i've recoded a site using xhtml and css to replace the table structure used previously. the site prior to the code change ranked high when googled and the client wants it to stay this way. my question: by launching the newly coded site will anything change as far as the search status? if so, what can i do to keep it from doing so?

01-14-2008, 02:08 AM

i'd love to launch the newly coded site but am worried, the new site, will lose the old sites position within google.

01-14-2008, 02:32 AM
well, you may find that the pages rank more highly because the content of value forms a higher percentage of the overall page's content. That said, if the page ranks highly with one keyword it may not so so well with others.

Any chance the 'old' pages are showing a high position because the keywords used are in the domain name?

01-14-2008, 02:40 AM
the content on the new site is the same as on the previous site, minus the table structure. i wasn't sure if i should use the old page titles, so i plan on keeping that the same.

the keywords used in a search for the site, i would *guess* would not bring up the site. it's a rock climbing guiding company and the web page is called chockstoneclimbing.com

when new pages are replaced on existing site does google notice this or punish it? it currently comes up in the top 5 when googled for 'smith rock guides.'

would it be smarter to replace a few pages at a time over the course of a week instead of all at once?

thanks for your help.

01-14-2008, 02:44 AM
If it is the same content in the same order just with more meaningful HTML tags around the content then any movement in the search engine results because of the changes should be in the upward direction.