...

View Full Version : IE not rendering CSS



treigh
01-01-2008, 02:19 AM
Hi there,

I just finished a prototype for a client's project after a long day of hard work. When I test the site, it gives me great results in Firefox, but Internet Explorer is just not displaying anything but text. :confused: I'm really tired of this and I will appreciate any help. Here are the urls and feel free to see the code for the CSS.

http://pjx.itconsmedia.com/eacottawa/index.html
http://pjx.itconsmedia.com/eacottawa/about.html

My testing machine is running Vista and the latest web browsers from MS and Mozila

Rambling
01-01-2008, 03:16 AM
W3's validator reports an invalid character encoding. [(modx_charset)] will be replaced by a proper character encoding when being served up by ModX, but it's causing IE to produce errors here. See if temporarily putting in the correct character encoding fixes things.

Majoracle
01-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Yeah, I'm almost positive it's because of the <base> tag. IE is trying to find your style sheets, images, etc at [(site_url)] instead of the domain. That's also why no images work either. FF is just good at getting around mistakes, so it's likely just ignoring the <base>. Get rid of the <base> tag, or if you absolutely need it, make it something valid like <base href="http://pjx.itconsmedia.com/eacottawa/" />.

treigh
01-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Thank you so much Rambling & Majoracle,

I can't believe I didn't notice it. It was so obvious, I guess I was tired, but replacing [(modx_charset)] with a valid character encoding and getting rid of the <base> tag (and leave that job to my CMS) fixed the issue .

Thanks and I'm gonna recap it for everyone. I guess IE is really just good at stealing tabs menu from FF, but not so smart when it comes to rendering unknown properties.

So here's a recap for everyone else in a similar situation:

IE was unable to render my css codes when testing a sample website.
the issue, as Rambling & Majoracle pointed out, was caused by having some special tags in the head section for my CMS.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=[(modx_charset)]" />
<base href="[(site_url)]"></base> .
Our good friend Firefox knew how to get around it, but as usual, IE failed us again.

I just removed my special tags and will include them in my code when I'm ready to feed it to my CMS.

Thanks again



EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum