View Full Version : Tell a friend script: point to different location?

fnewsome
12-28-2007, 07:44 AM
:confused::confused:
I'm putting a tell your friend script on my website. I want it to point at my domain name (www.aspecialdate.co.uk) It keeps coming back with my homepage
html title: homepage.ntlworld.com/index.html. I can't find it in my webpages html
to change it. Is it something to do with this line in the script: (var initialmsg="Hi:\nYou may find this site cool to visit! "+window.location) the"+window.location bit? Please could you help I'm struggling a bit. Thanks Frank

Philip M
12-28-2007, 08:36 AM
window.location means the current page.

You want something like:-

var yourDomain = "http://www.aspecialdate.co.uk/index.html";
var initialmsg="Hi:\nYou may find this site cool to visit! "+ yourDomain;
alert (initialmsg);

It is your responsibility to die() if necessary….. - PHP Manual

fnewsome
12-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks I'll try it, See you a bit later Regards Frank

Philip M
12-28-2007, 08:59 AM
It looks like you are using the script from JavaScriptKit.

If so it should work fine with the modifications I suggested.

But you should delete the lines:-

//u = window.location;

and

//window.location = "mailto:"+document.eMailer.email.value+"?subject="+initialsubj+"&body="+document.title+" "+u;

I take it you will get rid of "Hi buddy" and other buttock-clenching Americanisms! :D:D:D

fnewsome
12-28-2007, 09:18 AM
The tell a friend button works just fine. But now it throws a box up when I open the page. With the email message inside. Is it something to do with alert?

fnewsome
12-28-2007, 09:38 AM
:):)
Hi, Thanks.
Got shut of the alert box! and it works perfectly:thumbsup:

Can't thank you enough been working on this all bloody night.:mad:

And yes I've changed the wording into English slang!!:thumbsup:

Philip M
12-28-2007, 10:35 AM
I hope you will not be offended, but you have a nice professional looking website and it would be a pity to spoil it with this sort of thing.

This "Tell a friend" type of script dates from the earliest days of the internet, and is rarely found now except on obviously amateur sites. Some people - myself included - do not wish to send out what amounts to spam, or do your "viral marketing" for you. Naturally it is entirely up to you, but personally I would re-think the idea.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum