View Full Version : Web server/Broadband

kokane
01-14-2003, 10:29 AM
I am going to have a go at setting up a web server using Apache2 on Windows 2000 in my house/office in the UK with a NTL broadband connection to Web. I will initially just host my own web site - but depending on difficulties/practicalities I may look to add others.
Based on what is written below I will probably use PHP/MYSQL for serverside applications. Has anybody been through this process or something similar and like to offer any words of warning/advice?

firepages
01-14-2003, 02:11 PM
only advice is if you want to use PHP then don't use apache2 use apache1.* or maybe even something like sambar server, in fact for serious hosting, until apache2 is stable then you may even consider IIS (the dark side I know) which for all its pitfalls is a fair but faster than apache on win32

Obviously I would suggest *NIX for any type of web-hosting, then you get apache/PHP/MySQL at their best, though I appreciate that that might not be an option.

kokane
01-14-2003, 02:42 PM
firepages thanks for that

main problem with IIS is cost - Licensing etc v. expensive. Was thinking of PHP because it seemed to be only "simple" option with Apache given the JAVA option requires addition of Tomcat - and that presumably adds extra difficulties? Any thought on that ?

I have now read your comments on PHP forum. The key question is what is currently the best/most reliable server side language to use with Apache 2 to do database retrieval/update and have reasonable security.

I am using Apache 2 because of windows compatability and using windows because of familiarity - enough stuff to get to know without adding in OS.

allida77
01-14-2003, 03:10 PM
If you have Windows 2000 than IIS is free. I am not a apache or php expert but I tried installing php with apache2 the other week.....now I am just using IIS.

kokane
01-14-2003, 03:29 PM
allida77, my understanding is that you need a license to use IIS if your webserver is connected to Internet and this is not cheap.

IIS is only comes with Windows 2k server. This OS is not "free" , with standard PC - Win 2k professional comes free with standard PC which can run Apache.

firepages
01-15-2003, 12:43 AM
Hi , not sure if you actually need a liscence for IIS if you have the OS liscence ??? I dunno , just the impression I was under.

Tomcat is not too bad to set up (I have never actually tried with apache2! but assume its the same) but JAVA/JSP does not lend itself well to rapid application development :)

If you want stable apache2 then mod_perl is perhaps worth a looksee ? again I dont really know just what I have heard.

but.... also worth a looklee cos its very fast and lets you use PHP/PERL/etc & the free version is fine ... sambar (http://www.sambar.com)

kokane
01-15-2003, 04:07 PM
Thanks for that firepages.

I am trying to cheat and find a route that's tried and tested but will nose around and find out if there are any problems with Windows2000/Apache2/mod_Perl.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum