View Full Version : HTML Books

Nefrit
12-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I need a book.

More specifically to explain my situation:

The "guy who does the web site" in work is leaving us in the next week or two. He and his mate (who knows HTML!) set up the company's websites (three of them I think) ages ago, and have been maintaining them since. While he offers to help with the upkeep, it may be classed as a "clash of interests" by the company he's joining, so being the next "least technically challenged" in the office, I've been asked to step into his shoes.

I've never done any web design, just some fortran and one or two other programming languages that I don't remember, so probably won't help. I'm pretty quick to learn, and think I'm starting to make some sense of the code that has landed in front of me by reading through it and referring to various internet sites. Whilst this may seem backward, I find that having a real book in front of me for reference is infinitely better than having to switch tabs/windows to get help.

I'll definitely be referring to the stickies on this subject, but when it comes to RTFM I want to get TFM

What would anyone recommend to get as a reference/learning tool that might get me able to proficiently update the websites by april (when the pay reviews are due :smoke: )? :thumbsup::cool:

Rappa
12-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Well there are millions of online tutorials if you google, but if your looking for a book, heres the book my professor came out with last week: http://www.course.com/catalog/product.cfm?isbn=978-1-4239-0651-3&CFID=669717&CFTOKEN=20159328

Apostropartheid
12-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Please, please, please stop doing those ridiculous fonts! If you want help, at least make it legible!

kewlceo
12-06-2007, 12:41 PM
You may want to look at HTML, XHTML, and CSS, Sixth Edition (http://www.amazon.com/XHTML-Sixth-Visual-Quickstart-Guide/dp/0321430840/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in) as a desktop reference, or Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML [ILLUSTRATED] (http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-HTML-CSS-XHTML/dp/059610197X/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in) for a more introductory experience.

Best of luck!

saeed
12-06-2007, 01:01 PM
I will recommend don't use any WYSIWYG softwares at all...

It will kill your coding skills and you will always dependent on these kinda software. Plus ... if you like any website ... read its code and try to make it yourself.

HTH ! :thumbsup:

Saeed

mlseim
12-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Give us a link to the companies (3) websites.

There may be more there than just HTML. It's possible that your
previous webhost uses PHP or ASP to generate dynamic pages.

srule_
12-06-2007, 02:50 PM
I think this guy just wants hits to his website from his sig

Freon22
12-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Why would you say "I've never done any web design" in this thread while in another thread you say "I would rate myself as advanced".

I think you need to explain yourself because you are looking like a spammer.

So .. let's see how we are doing in web design. How would you rate your design skills?

- beginner
- medium
- advanced

.. with all the lack of modesty I am capable of I would rate myself as advanced since I kinda did everything in this. I am a freelance designer and also work at a firm where I take care of the same things ...

How are you?:thumbsup: :confused:

Rappa
12-06-2007, 05:44 PM
oh,oh,oh, oh my. owned:eek:

Aceramic
12-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Why would you say "I've never done any web design" in this thread while in another thread you say "I would rate myself as advanced".

I think you need to explain yourself because you are looking like a spammer.

P-P-P-PWNED!

fl00d
12-06-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm like you Nefrit. I can't stand learning (most) things from a site. I read it and forget it. Only books can actually make me understand it.

You should go check out your local library. I'm sure they would have some. Also most libraries let you take the book out for a couple of weeks, which is plenty of time to learn HTML (IMO). CSS I learned in a day by looking at the CSS of another site and then whenever I encountered something I didn't know, I simply just looked it up.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum