View Full Version : text in Photoshop

11-29-2007, 09:22 AM
I have a question regarding text in Photoshop. I'm using version 6 and I would like to produce text that is "hollow." That is to say, that it isn't filled in with a color, only an outline of the letters would be visible. I would also like to be able to vary the thickness of the outline, if possible. If this is possible, then is it also possible to place other images behind the text and still be able to see them through the hollow text?

11-29-2007, 05:27 PM
The best way that I can think of is manually creating the hollow gap.

To do this (in CS2 [the lowest version I have] however i'm sure it'll work similarly):

1) Open document, and type your text in an ordinary text like Arial
2) Click on the layer and select Rasterize (in the layers window)
3) Hold Ctrl and click on the layer (in the layers window)
4) The text should now be selected
5) Click Select->Modify->Contract and choose the size of your border.
6) The selection should contract on the text
7) Press Del (Delete) to remove the selected center of the text

Visit my webpage for an image tutorial:
Hollow Text Image Tutorial (http://weblog.khademian.org/~jonatanf/scripts/howTo/HollowText/)

12-01-2007, 07:34 AM
inner glow and outer glow layer styles maybe, with 0% layer fill

"Stroke" layer style, with 0% layer fill

12-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Layer mask. Create your text layer. Ctrl+click the layer and shrink the selection. Invert Selection. Create a new layer mask. Presto. You may have to clean up the edges in some places.

12-05-2007, 04:02 AM
stoke then fill to 0% is best

12-05-2007, 04:47 PM
stoke then fill to 0% is best

I agree. Why do the extra work when there's something there already?

12-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I agree. Why do the extra work when there's something there already?

Seems like all he wants is a font with a border around it.. basically an "outline" font style..

make the font the same color as your background... or just fill 0%.. .then right click on layer go to blending options.. and go to stroke... you can play with the "thickness" of the lines.. when you increase the pixel width...