View Full Version : CMS - Styling Content & Security

srule_
11-27-2007, 04:03 PM
I made a very simple CMS for my clients to easily edit and update sites I make for them.

As of right now my update content area is just a form "textarea", but I would like to add options so they can bold, underline, add links ext... Does anyone know of an easy way to add these features?

One last question, does anyone have any security tips I should implement?

aedrin
11-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Search for 'javascript rte editor'.

Security for what? Login, page access, etc.

the-dream
11-27-2007, 04:12 PM
What, would you be wanting something like a WYSIWYG - ( What you see is what you get ) editor. These can be easily incorporated usually with some simple JavaScript. Just try doing a search for 'WYSIWYG' in Google.

the-dream
11-27-2007, 04:13 PM
I would recommend if you have not done so already using encryption. Sorry if thats a bit obvious.

adian
11-27-2007, 04:14 PM
There're so many open source cms, why not download one? :)

the-dream
11-27-2007, 04:22 PM
I think i speak for myself and many other coders on this website when i say this. People make their own website applications / services because they don't like what is currently available on the market.

Ahri
11-27-2007, 04:35 PM
I think i speak for myself and many other coders on this website when i say this. People make their own website applications / services because they don't like what is currently available on the market.
Or haven't bothered checking to see if what they're trying to create has been created already.

Or have a case of not-invented-here-syndrome.

I'm not arguing, merely supplying other alternatives :)

srule_
11-27-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm making it because I want to increase my knoweledge in PHP and making a CMS forces me to use lots of different skills. So basicly I'm doing it as a learning experience. Beside the-dream is right, Although their are tons of CMS on the market I wanted something extremely simple and easy to implement into all the website I make. Since I am making this CMS I will know how everything functions and will make installing it into sites I make a breeze :-).

aedrin
11-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Or haven't bothered checking to see if what they're trying to create has been created already.

Or have a case of not-invented-here-syndrome.

I'm not arguing, merely supplying other alternatives :)

Or don't want a bloated piece of code with poor code quality.

croatiankid
11-27-2007, 08:41 PM
I've used TinyMCE (http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/) a few times before when building a simple CMS to manage page content. I'd check it out and see if it suits your needs.

fl00d
11-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Security tip: always sanitize user-inputted data! :)

Also custom error messages are a good idea. That way if an error occurs with the script or database, a bad guy won't be able to learn anything based on the error. It's also user-friendly for those non-computer whizzes.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum