View Full Version : legal question

sjw
11-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi, I am building a site for a garage and they want the background image to be a picture of a golf gti to match business cards. Do I need to get permission from VW? Thanks for any feedback.

vinyl-junkie
11-26-2007, 04:59 AM
When in doubt, always ask for permission.

srule_
11-26-2007, 03:46 PM
I highly doubt they will seek legal action. I would say you are more likely to run into trouble if you steel the picture from someones site as suppose to using a VW in the pic.

vinyl-junkie
11-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Maybe they won't seek legal action, but what if they did? Not asking for permission could be a very costly mistake on your part. Better to ask and be on the safe side.

srule_
11-26-2007, 06:06 PM
If I was VW I would enjoy the free advertisement :-) (unless the site is super ****y lol)

sjw
11-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys. I think I'll suggest using something else. Don't want to chance bringing down the wrath of VW.

Papa
12-13-2007, 09:16 PM
I highly doubt they will seek legal action. I would say you are more likely to run into trouble if you steel the picture from someones site as suppose to using a VW in the pic.

^^yup

I do my work mainly in print layout and design.. so i work a lot with images.. As per a picture of a VW.. no you don't have to ask VW if u can include a car.. if they took the picture and it came off their marketing material then yes.. That falls under the copyright laws... If its just some random picture of a VW that someone took in their driveway... you dont have to ask VW.. but you do have to ask permission from the person who took it.. My suggestion would be to look for a royality free image.. stock images.. if you want a more professional looking image search gettyimages.com they can be pricey.. but thats the best stock image site... and most major marketing firms use it.. I would suggest going there to be on the safe side and using one of those images..

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum